Microsoft: Surface Pro Battery Life Half That of Surface RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh boy here we go. Let what the internets does best commence.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"Battery Life Half that of Surface RT"

That statement is completely and utterly useless without a qualification about performance.
I'm guessing the Performance is more than twice that of the ARM tablet.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
:( i clicked on this article cause my head translated what i wanted to see: Half Life... turns out its life half, back to boring schedule

guess who

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
"That statement is completely and utterly useless without a qualification about performance.
I'm guessing the Performance is more than twice that of the ARM tablet."

No it isn't. Only fools don't know the performance will be better. If ARM is good enough however, the power gains vs battery life trade-offs are not very good, are they?

You don't buy a 300hp car if 150hp car works just fine for you.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
"How does four hours sound?" Still better than my laptop, and it would get better performance. Not an issue for me.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
[citation][nom]guess who[/nom]"That statement is completely and utterly useless without a qualification about performance.I'm guessing the Performance is more than twice that of the ARM tablet."No it isn't. Only fools don't know the performance will be better. If ARM is good enough however, the power gains vs battery life trade-offs are not very good, are they?You don't buy a 300hp car if 150hp car works just fine for you.[/citation]

No. I will buy a 300hp car just because.
You can stick to your 486s because it works just fine.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Um, yeah, that's one of those "duh" statements. Yeah, of course it's going to have less battery life. It uses more power. It also likely has a slightly larger battery. That sounds like pretty good battery life given the size and power of this tablet.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]guess who[/nom]"That statement is completely and utterly useless without a qualification about performance.I'm guessing the Performance is more than twice that of the ARM tablet."No it isn't. Only fools don't know the performance will be better. If ARM is good enough however, the power gains vs battery life trade-offs are not very good, are they?You don't buy a 300hp car if 150hp car works just fine for you.[/citation]

car analogies never work with tech, but to continue this:

the 150hp can only use gas from one gas station
the 300hp can use all the old gas you have plus any other that is compatible with x86 windows 8(lol i gave up)

I can be happy with 4 hours of solid use out of an x86 tablet; hell my ipad doesnt last much more than that gaming.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
My Surface RT can go a few days in between charges. Since you won't be cycling websites every other second at full brightness with a continual download looping like these stress tests do then you can probably expect more than 4 hours...

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]i clicked on this article cause my head translated what i wanted to see: Half Life... turns out its life half, back to boring schedule[/citation]

What the hell, it says Microsoft Surface Pro. You should read before you click.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
i5 is ~7x faster than tegra 3. Plus, Pro has 2x the display resolution. I think the the performance per battery life is completely satisfactory. Since most metro apps have shitty performance, an i5 should help a lot.

G

Not to mention the main difference is that you can run x86 apps, meaning you can run your real firefox/chrome and all your real apps, not cheesy ports that run on ARM...

At the end of the day, if it can run a decent x86 app like photoshop with 4hr battery life, that's a HUGE win for microsoft in the business and professionals sector.

That aside, I think this thing might be able to run WoW or other MMOs at a lower resolution... this is a big deal because most modern MMOs have daily quests/tasks with decent rewards to promote users to log on daily. obsessive players will get the surface just so they can check in on the run

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]This is what happens when you go intel. Atoms are purpose built to be shitty and going up the performance means a large increase in power consumption.[/citation]
Perhaps before commenting you should do your homework. The Surface Pro doesn't come with an Atom but with an i5.

obsama1

Distinguished
It's a nice tablet for sure, but it's $900 for a 64GB version and it gets 4hr. of battery life? IMO, it's better to just get an Ultrabook at that price with more storage and better batter life. But, if you are an artist or editor, this could be very good for you.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
If you look at it like a tablet, then yeah, 4-5 hours is not so long. But it is clearly being marketed as something less like a tablet and more like a laptop since it is capable of doing much more than any tablet currently available (except for Windows 8 tablets of course). In that case, the battery life is pretty standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.