Microsoft Suspends Win 7/8.1 Updates For Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir3x6

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
This kid programmed the ZX81 when it was new. And can program mutli-threaded apps in VB.net and C++. I cannot make window 10 stable and my dad's computer is unstable under Window10 and he trained me.

I bet all the people with stable Window 10 systems only use it for e-mails, browsing the web, word and excel.

I would go to Linux, but none of the games I play run on it, Solidworks doesn't run on it without using WINE.

I have always been one to jump on to the new OS Microsoft bring out in the past. I did with Windows 10, but I had no choice but to go back to Windows 7. I need a stable platform and data security. Window 10 is not that.

Lordos

Reputable
May 7, 2015

excuse me? a non-issue? What does it matter if win10 accepts win7 keys with anything? If one doesn't want win10 crap how this is a non-issue??

btw a bit offtopic, when there was some ryzen & win7 benchmarks that worked better then on win10 crap I was joking that M$ will more quickly push nerfing patch to win7 rather then fix it in win10. Though by totally killing updates for ryzen/kaby was beyond my imagination. Hey but its easier then write nerfing patch I assume, so good for them :)

nametaken

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Win 7 Pro 64 is my choice. I built my Desktop last year using Intels 5820K 6 core chip. I have 7TB of hdd and 64GB of RAM. I hope it makes it to 2020, but if it dont, I will still build another Win 7 PC using whatever Intel Chip I can. SIR3X6 in these comments explained things just right. I dont need Win 10.

Lordos

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Not gonna happen. And I think M$ did shot themselves in the foot with whole this "we force feed you this win10 crap"
It worked fine with Vista (Vista was total crap, 8 not much better) because there was no other option more-or-less.
However today, in 2017 they miscalculated. With Linux gaming on the rise, and with Vulkan on the move (thanks AMD to came up with Mantle) times are changing even for gamers as it is opening Linux as gaming platform.

Yes I know Linux is ~1% on Steam and Vulkan is just barely getting implemented into main engines, but once it takes off, M$ and their DX12 become irrelevant. And once that happens ppl that are fed up with win10 crap (by the time maybe 30% of your screen will be taken by ads lol) will gladly run to Linux.
DX12 was another BS move from M$ to force gamers to win10.

Personally I don't find a reason why average joe as of today (no gamer) couldn't toss win and move to Linux unless he use some specific win-only apps at home. I even put Linux to my parents laptops and they are fine with it (browsing emails etc)

As for "there is nothing wrong with 10" I beg to differ. Some colleagues in work are getting win10 on new laptops and its crap, issues with vpn,tools, etc even their own outlook380 is acting up.
So in few months I will end up with win10 crap in office but not gonna happen on my home PC.

btw I'm not against the change itself, lets face it. while on winXP I was one of early adopters of Win7 in our company (Vista was crap) and i did run RC at home, because it looked like it can be good OS, which it proved itself now. But then win8 came and it was another failure (which I totally skipped). I had win10 since very early insider builds and I knew I'm not gonna like it. Though they at least improved some UI crap before release but that's just one of things...

I keep hearing win 10 isn't as good as it could have been, but all you really have against it is that you don't need to be a programmer with a doctorate to make it do what you want. You're an elitist. FACT is that most people who have a choice on operating system are gaming with it. FACT is that windows is still more prevalent for games than ever, and as such most developers will make games for it. Games run. No third party app to make them work. No screwing around with the terminal. They work. You want it to run your old x386 games fluidly, ya, you're in trouble. Get with the times. Old machine to run old games, new machine to run new games. Every bad thing you've mentioned about 10 is easily remedied with a little effort, and most everything is pretty well documented so it's easy to fix. Network on my machine, 0/0 unless I'm on a webpage or downloading. Easy peasey.

JayR_Cela

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
I agree, with most of the comment's here and I have been dual booting my computers from Windows to Linux since about 1994. Currently running four Tower's and I have just removed Win10_Pro from two of them completely. I am fed up with MicroSoft.

Debian8 with Ubuntu 16.04 repositories and the XFCE user interface. and they run circles around Win10_Pro

JayR Cela

Brainphrozen

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
It might make sense for microsoft but it pisses on it's users. Windows 10 is woefully inadequate. I won't even install it on one my pc's because of a major bug on it. Microsoft even wont own up to it or fix it so cheers Microsoft. Crap on your users why don't you

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
I am noticing a disturbing trend in the comments. Most of the comments are negative, yet most are also downvoted, multiple times. Is this the work of MS "reputation managers" again? Trolling the site?

Eric_666B

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
I am still running Windows 10 on Desktop Board DQ35JO with Q9550s AND no plan to upgrade any time soon. Hohoho...

popatim

Titan
I too think little of win10 but my problem is that I have and support many pc's that use Media Center which win10 does not even have any more so I couldn't upgrade even if I wanted to.

Shame on Microsoft.

Brainphrozen

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

That's so that people who don't have a valid windows 10 key can use this to make win10 legal...I wouldn't bother though

pentiuman

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
This is wrong and illegal! Microsoft, Intel and AMD are conspiring to take away our money, by taking away our choices! I'm gonna write the DOJ.

Brainphrozen

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

I use a PS4 for most gaming over win10

balbarra

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
I work in a computer shop, and we have had no trouble at all with Windows 10. One of the main things we have found is that hardware and software manufacturers failed to make the required updated drivers or software updates to suite Windows 10. We run 7 computers here at our shop and never have an issue, none of our customers have any issues. Yes some things run differently and take a bit of getting used to, but generally it's very good. I have read all the comments on here and I sit back and laugh at all the whingers about how bad Windows 10 is and remember how when Windows 7 came out and guess what ??? they were all whinging and bitching about how bad Windows 7 was, why didn't they stay with Windows XP????? why change it??? it works perfectly. Bloody hell they even whinged and bitched about the change from Windows 95 to XP. the problem is that no one is ever happy about change, it wouldn't make an iota of difference what Microsoft brought out you'd all be like a pack of never be happy, whinging fracking Nerf Herders. So long as your arseholes point to the ground you lot will never be happy.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

AMD wants people to use Windows 10. DirectX 12 enables you to get high frame rates when properly using CPUs which feature lots of cores, whereas DirectX 11 favors fast cores. Take a look at the "Ryzen Versus Core i7 In 11 Popular Games" article. A Kaby Lake i5 is able to beat every Ryzen in GTA5 (DX11).

Tanyac

Reputable
The answer to Microsoft problem is right under their nose. So, the fact that they flat out refuse to address the issues surely must mean they really don't give a damn about customers. It's make a profit at the expense of customers instead of builda product that people love and hope that sells.

I would happily upgrade to Windows 10 if they addressed the major issues it has; But it's like anything else.. Would you buy a house that has no windows and doors, or every time you turned on a light 10 sales people appeared at your door with high pressure sales offers?

The message is clear Microsoft: Give people back control of their own PCs, stop the obtrusive, obnoxious advertising, stop the spying and data collection, get rid of tiles completely, give us a UI that doesn't look like a kindergarten crayon drawing, and stop treating consumers as alpha testers. Just because we are not running a business doesn't mean we should suffer continual downtime while you get us to freely test an endless deluge of faulty updates. And Let us get our drivers from the manufacturers of our hardware (Who produce better drivers anyway).

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I agree about some of the BS that MS has pushed in recent years. But I also remember that during the whole transition from Vista to 10 many people were still running XP even after MS stopped supporting it. Did that mean software/hardware communities completely stopped support, no. Remember the title on this article isn't 'whole world stops supporting new tech with old OS'.

MS has made their intentions very clear. They want to stop dealing with the old OS's and fully commit to ten. It doesn't mean the rest of the world has to.

Whether you love something or not, it will change. I loved MS-DOS then took a break for a while and came back to 98. It took some getting used to. I loved XP, even though a virus managed to get through every other month and sometimes destroyed the MBR. It wasn't until service pack 3 that I started to feel remotely safe. Their rep got so bad that when Vista came out it practically needed authorization just to use the calculator. Seven was a breath of fresh air and brought back good memories of XP. I would've stayed for a while but the only real way to try the newest GPU API's are to go with the flow. Eight and tiles came out. Hated it sure. A few weeks later I learned how to turn 'em off and set my desktop the way I wanted. I got used to the start menu so many said was gone. Moved on to 8.1, again for the API. Ten came out, I waited because I'd been through 3 OS's in 4 years and was tired but knew I'd have to move on, again to get the next API. I've adjusted but to those who can't get past the seven look, well that's why classic shell exists. It made it so people who couldn't figure eight out had an easy way out and the same goes for Ten.

I've used/owned Atari computers(remember DOS 3, how fun was that coming from 1.0 then 2.0 then waiting for 3.5 to help you salvage everything you converted), ViC20(need more memory), Commodore 64's(can't really complain here), Apple II, IIe's, here come's Lisa(fail), TRS80 model III's(where'd I put that card, oh and that's not the right ribbon). I knew people with TI994a's, they loved em when there was support. I knew people with MAC's in the pre-OSX days and their weekly calls to Apple along with the fee's anytime they tried to install something new. I also remember post OSX hearing how different gens didn't meet the needed specs to run it and that following complaining on the thousands needed to upgrade to a new system.

I don't work for MS. I honestly couldn't care if they were gone tomorrow. But people hating what the OS has become need to look around at IOS and Android because it's obvious that's who MS is trying to copy. As I mentioned above, if you think that MS are the only ones putting telemetry monitoring stuff in then you're even more the sheep for the slaughter. From Apple to Google to MS to Samsung to LG and more than I know they are all watching. I can't remember if it was here or on another site but I read a story about some strange code being found in firmware.

W10 is now the most stable Windows version I've ever had. Not perfect, but I think a lot of W7 users have rose-colored glasses.

There are lots of problems on W7 too, but if it's working for you with no issues then HEY stick with it for now.

I love the "hey, there's Linux" argument. The logic being that W10 isn't perfect so let's go deal with something that probably doesn't work as well just because it's NOT Windows.

I've got about ZERO time to stress about the symantics of how Microsoft and Windows operate. It works, and if I get an issue i look into fixing it. Let's not forget to take SOME responsibility for our computers such as scheduling automated BACKUPS (I.e. Acronis True Image) and spend more than five minutes learning how to navigate it.

There's this continued knee-jerk reaction that W10 sucks and W7 is "better" by people who harp on a few issues that may or may not even exist now.

somebassplayer

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016

*yawn*. Another hater checking in, I see.

somebassplayer

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016

The OS support they talk about is continuing to provide security updates and fixes for critical issues. It doesn't include providing support for new hardware.

Windows 7 reaches end of support in January 2020. Windows 8 in January 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.