Microsoft: Tablets Will Outsell Desktop PCs in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Would that be because everyone already has one and anyone with at least a core 2 doesn't 'really' need to replace? The up-graders will, of course, change a few times.

The article is common sense.

"Waahhhh I don't want Windows 8 on my desktop!" - Then don't get it then????!!?? (It'll be on mine as I embrace change)

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I won't be swapping out my desktop or laptops anytime soon but i would have to say, I definitely think tablets are more convenient than either a laptop or a desktop as far as surfing the web, checking your email, playing certain games... we americans LOVE!!!! our convenience gadgets...

As far as Windows 8, as far as what i've seen... i hate it... however i'm a software engineer and in order for me to stay competitive in this market, it'll most definitely make it's way onto my home systems... Long story short, I'll have no choice but to install it, learn it, and like it... :(

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I agree with damianrobertjones... If you are rocking at least a Core 2 with 4ish gigs of RAM, you need not upgrade at this point: only maintain...

I have a Q6600... Even with my gaming needs, I am ok for now. I don't know anyone who replaced their Core 2 based laptops because of speed, especially when shown what an SSD can do. They only junk them because the PCB fails, and it isn't worth replacing the Mobo...

A $350 laptop is more than enough for most people.

Not everyone has a tablet yet, so those will be in demand in excess of desktops and lappys.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
For the average user, who needs a desktop pc unless its for work?

most people just need something they can get online with for facebook and email

is that a good thing, i dont know, but its just a fact about americans and their computing habits

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think tablets will out sell desktop's any time soon.
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Would that be because everyone already has one and anyone with at least a core 2 doesn't 'really' need to replace? The up-graders will, of course, change a few times.The article is common sense."Waahhhh I don't want Windows 8 on my desktop!" - Then don't get it then????!!?? (It'll be on mine as I embrace change)[/citation] Just because people have a computer that doesn't need replaced, doesn't mean people wont replace it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Antoine Leblond = IDIOT.

So what Leblond is saying, "Windows8 PCs will tank so badly, that the only thing that may sell is the Windows branded tablet. Since we can sell ours at a profit or below the price of any partner that actually bothers, only ours will be viable."

Microsoft just screwed every PC hardware partner out there.

Question A: If people demand it, will HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer be allowed to sell Win7 systems?

Question B: If (A) is true, does this mean that microsoft will count each PC sale, a "win8" sale anyway - the way they did for all the XP loads?

Question C: Will the partners be upset when dealing with the returns of NEW win8PCs because of the defective OS that was pre-installed?

Question D: Is there a vote on TOMS on the what people think of Win8?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
In the OLD days... when the Windows 7 Preview Release version came out, I tried it out on my Thinkpad... after 1-2 weeks, I felt it good enough to RUN on my main desktop computer. Windows7 was that smooth. First time I ever could say "I love this version of Windows".

Windows8... bla. No way, no how. I *LOVE* the Metro UI for phones. I use it everyday, I loved it since the first time I used it. Simple big tile buttons that TOLD you information without pressing a button. For a desktop... useless garbage.

All Microsoft HAS/HAD to do is this: a USER option to make METRO the default interface or NOT.

I know only 1 person with a touch-screen desktop PC.... after a few weeks... they never touched the screen again. Its a pain to go from keyboard to desktop screen, etc... besides the fingerprints!

Anyone with a tablet KNOWS they are constantly cleaning their displays... and using WIPES.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
It's because windows 8 will cause PC sales to tank, allowing Android and iOS tablets to gain market share.

Hopefully, OEMs add some sort of custom start menu, and hide the metro along with their bloatware.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Touch on desktop? But my screens are almost 3 feet away... Touch only makes sense for handhelds and kiosks.

As for tablets outselling desktops, I'm not surprised. After all, most people use the computer for Facebook and web browsing, and that's way more comfortable to do from the couch than a desk.

Desktops will now become computers for professionals (and hardcore gamers), making them more expensive. The best thing to do now is wait for hardware discounts for desktop components (due to lower demand) and put together the best future-proof desktop you can afford.

I would have to agree "Tablets Will Outsell Desktop PCs in 2013"
That does not mean Tables will replace Desktop PCs any time soon.
I will buy a Tablet in the near future (2012-2013) and I won't be buying a desktop PC in the near future, since my desktop can handle pretty much anything I could throw at it.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I understand that mobile is pretty much taking over but it's a real worry for me. I'm a high end desktop / workstation user. Parts are expensive enough and now with fewer people purchasing traditional desktops, will this not push prices up because fewer people are buying them? (desktops that is)

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if he is right about tablets outselling desktops. They are convenient and I recently went to a Win8 developer lesson (on programming from wp7 to w8) and the lecturer was using a Samsung Series 7 Slate running Win8 (Core i5, 2GB ram or maybe 4) and the thing was running visual studio, dual monitors, etc and doing it really fast. I though he was using a desktop at first until I noticed that he did a search and found over 2,000 hits on files based on his search terms in the time it took for the "in" animation to finish I was like "Dang" (makes me want an SSD, haha). So I asked and found out that the presentation, Visual Studio 11 for Windows 8, Expression Blend, dual monitors, emulator, and Power Point were all running smooth as butter on this little tablet.

In short, I think it's fully possible.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I don't think Windows 8 is being marketed as a Desktop OS.

It would take several years for the corporate world to even brace it as their standard desktop OS and by then they will have another OS out to replace it.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
For the average user who does nothing but surf the internet and check email, then tablets will be the way to go. For anything else, desktops & laptops will be your weapon of choice.

As for Windows 8, it will shine as it should on touchscreen devices (phones and tablets). On the desktop/laptop market, people will hate it and it will tank... it simply isn't as appealing when using only a mouse/keyboard combo.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Regarding the statement that tablet sales will outperform pc desktop sales in 2013, exactly how are they counting desktop pc sales? I didn't (and never will) buy a pre-built pc, but I did upgrade my cpu, cooler, mobo, memory, and case as I switched from Phenom X2 to Sandy Bridge. That pretty much constitutes a sale in the PC desktop column. Are they counting component sales, too, or only pre-built PCs? I say mobos and CPUs should each count as half a sale. Also, to echo what's been stated, yes plenty of people already have a desktop. I don't really see tablets replacing the desktop, per se, but rather getting a tablet as an extension of their main pc, just as many folks like to have a smart phone that functions as an extension. Occasionally, I do look at Netflix on my phone, and I always use it for googling and email unless I'm already at my desk, just to site a couple of examples. Plus, I play "real" games, so a tablet would NEVER, EVER, replace my beloved desktop.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Only thing that would sell me on Metro is if Microsoft bundle Windows 8 with kinect 2 for desktop, it would make the $200+ they charge for the Ultimate version more acceptable.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Linux was working on an ARM tablet interface. They were talking about it a while ago, but they haven't said anything about lately. If in fact they are still working on it, and if in fact it is any good, that is what I will get. Otherwise I probably won't get a tablet.

The Windows tablets look like they will be nice, but they will be far too expensive, and I won't get Android, because I don't want to be absorbed into the Googleplex.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]I ran 98 long past its shelf life. Not until Windows 7 was I as enthusiastic about my operating system. I've made a lot of decisions since then to help make sure I'll be able to use W7 long past its shelf life. It might be another 10 years before they get it right again.[/citation]

I agree, Windows 8 is not a problem. I have a full retail Windows 7 Ultimate, a Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows 7 Professional, and two more Promo copies of Windows 7 Professional that I can load on other machines. I will have no problem getting by until Windows 9. If Windows 9 sucks, I can probably hold out until Windows 10.

I was using Windows 2000 until about 3 years ago, but even if you like an operating system, over time too many things won't work with it. Eventually you have to move on. If all future versions of Windows suck, I hope that by the time Windows 7 will no longer do the job, there will be a version of Linux that I like better than Windows for everyday desktop use. I already prefer Linux for most server applications, and I have great hopes for it for tablets.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Like others have said - tablet sales may very well be higher than PC sales - but thats cause people arent buying new PCs because their current one is good enough. (I expect my i7 980x to last for 5-7 years).

but tablets are still in the growing pains phase, so there will be a lot of revisions, new models and people buying a new one cause its faster/better than their current one.

Yes, tablets will sell like hotcakes. Not because the PC or laptop is dead, but because a 5 year old desktop and 3 year old laptop still meet 90% of people's needs out there. I'm typing this on my wife's 5 year old core2duo, which is paired with an SSD, and one of my old gaming GPUs. Boot is up in under 10 sec, wake is up in under 3 sec. Office and browsers open instantly, and it plays blue ray movies gloriously. It has an old 9800GT in it, so it can even game if my wife ever found a game she would want to play.
A 5 year old computer not only meets most people's needs, but with a $40-90 SSD it will meet most people's needs for the next 3-5 years with no problem. In fact, because of tablets, smart-phones, and the like, PCs will have rediculously long useful life spans. Software is written for much smaller devices, so any real machine will not have to play catchup for a really long time. Gone are the days of the 3-5 years of usefulness in a PC. Now I date say that 6-10 years will be the new norm (with the exception of gaming systems or other large devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.