Microsoft Turns the Surface Tablet Into a Skateboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I doubt any other manufacturer will do that to one of their tablets. Hey, let's stand on it!
I started freaking out when I saw the Surface ad were everyone was throwing them around and catching them with the magnetic keyboards. I was like, "Ah! You're insane!" But, it seems that I was just a scaredy cat.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hmm, let's see
- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)
- 1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)
- less than 8 hours battery life (according to their own specs sheet)
- few apps (most at beta stage)
- costs $500 (without the touch cover)...

No wonder they're trying to distract customers with dancing and skateboards. I would buy it if they distracted me with Ballmer's head on a pike.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Cool; are the wheels standard or extra ?
Different color option? Powered wheels?

I'd like those spinner wheels please; they are soooo cool :)

/SARCASM

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Pricing is going to be key. If the lowest price tablet is $500.00, it is going to be very difficult for microsoft to get into the market. It seems they priced windows 8 right by allowing users to have a $39 upgrade and the fact that it looks like it will be fully integrating to the PC is great. Microsoft has alot riding on this but the right moves could open the doors to other things.

For example: I will eventually upgrade my PC to windows 8. If I can get a cheap windows tablet, I could sell my android tablet and get a surface tablet. Then when my phone contract comes up (if I happen to really like the Metro UI), I could possibly get a windows phone. Then, when then next generation of consoles come out I would probably favor the microsoft console simply because of the integration (I currently own a PS3).

So technically, microsoft has the ability to sell me 4 different items but the main deciding factor will be the quality of the OS and how integral it is to other devices, and the price of the tablet.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Ok, looks like I haven't been up on the times. The prices have been released and it is going to be $500 for the base model. That certainly does not make me want to run out and get one and at that price it would really need to be spectacular to attract alot of attention. I do know some of the hardcore pc users will actuallly opt for the total solution of the high end Core i5 model but those numbers are miniscule compared to the average pc/tablet user.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Is it just me, or does it look like a standard skateboard (wood or some other material) with the Surface merely buy into a cut-out in the middle? Hardly seems like the test of strength they make it out to be.

See the matte surface at the top and bottom of the skateboard. The surface is the shiny part embedded in the middle.

G

[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]At least we know that it is truly a multi purpose Tablet[/citation]

On the Pro, just run Prime95 and you have a portable hot plate.

G

with all of the money Microsoft has you would think they would have used a better camera to take those blurry as hell pictures! must have been a windows phone taking them hahahahahaha!!!!! EPIC FAIL!!!!

G

Yawn, another marketing gimmick. Lets do a normal, run of the mill, drop test and we shall see how TOUGH surface tablet really is.

But no, that will be 7 years of bad luck if it breaks into a thousand pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS