Microsoft Tweaks Windows Explorer for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I hate ribbon IU, the right click context menu has EVERYTHING without moving the mouse to the top of the screen for every step. How about a tabbed browser? Can't they copy Nautilus or Xbrowser and be happy?

I like Windows 7 because its pretty minimal, don't start wasting screen area with garbage that can't be removed. If I'm browsing through 1000's of pics I want them to cover the as much screen area as possible, not the toolbars at the top!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Great, the space-waster.

I would like to point out that the W7 Explorer Window in the comparison screen shot is in "Libraries" mode with the "Documents Library" heading and what seems to be the large Details Pane/meta-info bar at the bottom. The "normal" folders mode and medium to small Details Pane would hold a lot more files than the W8 Explorer Window.

Edit:
I'd like to add that the only commands on the Command Bar that I use frequently are "New Folder" and the "Views" button. I put the "Move to" and "Copy to" commands on the right-click menu so nearly everything I need is easy to get to from the right-click menu

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]I hope that can be turned off.[/citation]
It can be collapsed:
1641.Figure-24-_2D00_-Alex_2700_s-customizations_5F00_thumb.png

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Before anyone says "I hate ribbon", simple answer is DONT USE IT, whilst you are at it go back to using DOS.[/citation]

Absolutely!

I think ribbon isn't a bad idea at all, just one which take getting used to, and once you are there everything is pretty much routine/easy.

stridernz

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Of course it can be minimised... Isn't anyone using a newish version of Office... Who even needs right click context menu's when you can use shortcut keys for every one of the explorer commands in Windows 8..
I like it!!

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"Provides keyboard shortcuts for every command in the ribbon, something many people have been asking for."

this.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I don't see anything useful for me in the video :| i never use the tool bar to copy and paste for example, i rather use shortcuts or use right click.

And for path, i believe in winxp explorer all i have to do is just copy from the textbox under the title menu, no need to do those steps in the video :|

and for the ribbon, i used ms office in the past, but since they use the ribbon thing, i really got confuse with ms office, so i move to libre office now. they said the ribbon thing is more intuitive, i tried use them for sometime, to me it's suck.

hell, now they want to put it in the explorer, they really want me to stop using microsoft product :|

I wish software and hardware makers provide better support for linux (i get used to Ubuntu), so i can really leave microsoft products completely.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I have a funny feeling this is going to be a very successful OS, especially amongst people who're not very tech-savvy. There will still be people who'll say OS X is a "different experience" and BS like that, but i think Win 8 will be a Lion-tamer. 7's already taken care of the Snow Leopard ;)

I personally like a non-ribbon explorer (like in Win 7). Otherwise the rest of the stuff is good.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
im useing xp, now lets go to my documents, on a 1920x1200 monitor, im able to see 59 and 1/2 files in detailed view, and im able to see the folder size of folders. if i want ANYTHING advanced, i use either the drop down menus on top, or right click.

heres hoping its completely removable. that being said, was there any need to change it from xp? i mean seriously, ANY NEED?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The only thing that pisses me off more and more in Windows is its increasing focus on "sharing" and such. I don't want to "share" anything with anybody, damn it! Remove that wretched word and I'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and I hope I can get rid of tabbed browsing and bring back the top menu (File/View/Edit/Tools/etc) instead of these big buttons. Seriously, this looks like Office 2007... I don't like this. The Ribbon can go and rm -rf itself...

The problem with ALL modern software products is that they try to add something new and unwanted before there's any kind of stability achieved. Ubuntu became a very stable OS at 10.10, then they threw in Unity and plymouth in 11.04 and look, it's full of bugs AGAIN. Same here; what was wrong with Win7 looks? Why can't they just freakin' STOP for once?!

If at all, MS should finally port Compiz to Windows... I just discovered even more kick-ass effects there, and Win7 has nothing similar to offer, a shame. Why can't MS get their heads out of their a$$es and make a solid, stable OS that will destroy all opponents once and for all? Win7 was great, now improve it instead of introducing new flashy garbage! Improve loading times or something...

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Chrome gets it. Keep the menu stuff small, but convenient. Let the main browser window be the center of attention.

Mozilla and Microsoft just don't seem to get it. Most people don't want almost a 5th of their browser junked up with buttons and menus and other annoying things.

Thank JEBUS for Chrome!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] that being said, was there any need to change it from xp? i mean seriously, ANY NEED?[/citation]

Yeah.

1) DX11
2) Better (REALLY better) design & interface. XP starts to look like $h!t on 17''+ screens.
3) Better file structure (Libraries = win) and no Autorun (EPIC win) with one click
4) Better security
5) A ton of other small pleasant surprises that make it a much better OS to work with than XP
6) A proper x64 version

Of course, now you're gonna whine about how it could be all implemented in XP... sure, they'd just have to take the entire OS apart and waste double the time making sure there're no compatibility issues.

If you're not a gamer and you're not upgrading, stay with XP, by all means, it's a great OS. (BTW, that should also shut up everyone who complains that their 7-year old machine doesn't run Windows "smoothly", thus making Windows "bloatware" or a "resource sucker".) Otherwise, I'll take 7 over it any day.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Chrome gets it. Keep the menu stuff small, but convenient. Let the main browser window be the center of attention.Mozilla and Microsoft just don't seem to get it. Most people don't want almost a 5th of their browser junked up with buttons and menus and other annoying things.Thank JEBUS for Chrome![/citation]

Correct in case of Win8. Wrong in case of Firefox: I need all these "annoying buttons", mind you. I nearly threw up when I first saw Mozilla copying that horrible interface with 1 button in the corner: good thing you can easily get the menu bar back. So, according to Chrome, I must press the stupid button every time I want to take a look at the menus? Like hell!

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
The ribbon is microsoft's failed attempt at making a palette system more accessible. Don't make it the most prominent feature in Windows Explorer!

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I miss file manager from Windows 3.1. You could move\sort\and do all kinds of file management with it.

Microsoft abandon it when Windows 95 and ever since then file management has been a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.