Microsoft Ups Xbox One CPU Clock Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I hope this last minute OC doesn't make the system unstable and that there was adequate testing done to ensure a decent system life cycle.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Excellent news for all the gigahertz whores. Why anyone still believes frequency is a good indication of performance is anyone's guess, but I guess even a whore can find reasons for what they believe in

x2ruff4u

Honorable
May 21, 2013
You guys don't realize games that are barely coming out for the PS4/XBONE don't use it's full potential. You think PC is way far ahead you just wait and see.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And in a few years from now it will be ridiculously slow and (depending on sales) keep the evolution of gaming stuck for a 4-5 years like the old xbox and ps3 did....

lol they wouldnt be upping the speeds to get a boost if they were. the only reason these systems can even play these games is because they are optimized to do so. even then they only run @ 30 fps most likely. hands down consoles will never beat any decent PC head to head.

9a3iqa

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It seems like this "next generation" the media keeps talking about will be a bottleneck for PC's since the components haven't even caught up to current PC's. This 1.75ghz jaguar processor is underpowered, a netbook processor being used in next-gen consoles? My 2011 Cpu (i5-2500) is far more powerful than this "next gen CPU".

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
RROD was caused by crappy clips which allowed the heatsink to separate and bad soldering jobs. It really had nothing to do with the cooling system not being able to handle to load.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
so his is what we would call in overclocker land minuscule. I mean I don't know if this is ms attempt for braging rights but someone should remind ms that a 150mhz increase in cpu frequency is little to no real gain in cpu performance. increasing the clock speed esp that small is just going to create more heat then anythings else.

9a3iqa

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It seems like this "next generation" the media keeps talking about will be a bottleneck for PC's since the components haven't even caught up to current PC's. This 1.75ghz jaguar processor is underpowered, a netbook processor being used in next-gen consoles? My 2011 Cpu (i5-2500) is far more powerful than this "next gen CPU".

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Sony have never released the speed the CPU runs at, so any speed increase by Microsoft has no frame of comparison, other than against the original speed. So from that perspective you have approx 10% speed bump for free, plus whatever you get offloaded to the cloud. So until Sony announce their own CPU speed any negative comments are just wild fanboism.

yea those stupid x clips were garbage barely held the heatsinks on there

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
waxdart, while I don't necessarily agree with you I do have to applaud the reference. On a related note, lets not all jump to conclusions. For all we know they had planned this a while ago but decided it was a good idea to wait before announcing it. Gives them testing time and Sony less time to react.

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
so his is what we would call in overclocker land minuscule. I mean I don't know if this is ms attempt for braging rights but someone should remind ms that a 150mhz increase in cpu frequency is little to no real gain in cpu performance. increasing the clock speed esp that small is just going to create more heat then anythings else.

It's the percentage of change that's important, not to total mhz when talking about overclocking. I mean saying "150mhz" is nothing would hold true for a CPU with a stock 4ghz rating. But when the starting point is only 1.6ghz... Well it's much more significant.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Assuming the rumors are true and the PS4 is at 1.6ghz, this should give the Xbox One a slight advantage running multiplatform titles that are more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.

I see far too many people worrying about it overheating. Both the CPU and GPU overclocks are very small, and the Xbox One has an pretty amazing cooling solution from the pictures I've seen. it looks like a 120mm fan and a heatsink with copper heatpipes, positioned directly beneath the top vent for intake, with the right side vent for exhaust. I get the feeling that the Xbox One will run pretty cool.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Not much else MS can do, with the xbox hardware being somuch fruther behind the ps4.

I just hope they gave it a beefy heatsink/fan. Or really i dont hope, i dont care one way or the other. But it would be pretty sad if they have another red ring problem. Im sure it cant be as bad as the 360, hardware has become way more efficient since then. And is much better able to handle load/power/thermals.

Will we have a read ring of death repeat? Probably not. Will it be throttling all the time....probably!

My older 5800K in a m-atx case, with a low profile cooler, overclocked to 3.4ghz on the cpu, and 900mhz on the gpu, stays really cool and quiet. There's another fan in the front for intake, and one in the back for exhaust. They shouldn't have any trouble keeping this thing cool and quiet at those specs.

As far as failure rates, my money is on the optical drive first, followed by the hard drive.

I got a day 1 xbox 360, replaced immediately for freezing, then replaced the replacement for freezing, now this 3rd one is a 2006 model, and it works, but only after replacing the optical drive 2 years into life, and currently the hard drive is dead, along with a couple hundred hours of saved games, so this time I am not resurrecting it lol...

1 person is a pretty small sample but that's my bet nonetheless. heh

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

All those recent CPU intensive games! I can't count them on one finger - it takes at least two! This is a feeble attempt at marketing. It doesn't make up for inferior ram an gpu in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.