Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coverfire_68

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Like NT, no we didn't need device manager so why in windows 8 would we need a start button pffft..... Yeh I may not use it all the time but it comes in damn handy when I do.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Win 7 is not the same as XP, back then ppl still used underpowered PCs to use with Vista , wich run just fine on the right hardware, Win 8 vs Win 7 is aesthetically problem , it doesn`t matter that is runs better and starts up way faster than Win 7, the fact that metro start is not shiny makes every "idiot" on the net bash it. And for the last time, Win 8 still has Aero.

No wonder Apple does so well at the moment, people care more about the looks than the functionality, so is with 8 , i don`t see at least 1 negative comment about the performance, of the new OS, everybody cries about how the metro startup button looks like. I wish to see 1 negative comment about the performance of the new OS. Shiny things doesn`t bring productivity.

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
the start menu is stupid. you dont need it. even in W7 i just find no use for it except to open control panel, and even that can be accessed in numerous other ways. anyone who is against removing the start menu simply can't accept change. windows needs change. 95 through 7 have been virtually the same as far as functionality, and frankly its outdated. it was outdated with XP 10 years ago. move on people. you dont need a start button. no one bitched when 95 came out and suddenly you didn't have a ton of cascaded windows on your desktop. it was a major change. removing the start button is a minor change. move on, people. im willing to bet that a good number of people bitching about removing the start button are the same people stuck on XP.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Win 7 is not the same as XP, back then ppl still used underpowered PCs to use with Vista , wich run just fine on the right hardware, Win 8 vs Win 7 is aesthetically problem , it doesn`t matter that is runs better and starts up way faster than Win 7, the fact that metro start is not shiny makes every "idiot" on the net bash it. And for the last time, Win 8 still has Aero. No wonder Apple does so well at the moment, people care more about the looks than the functionality, so is with 8 , i don`t see at least 1 negative comment about the performance, of the new OS, everybody cries about how the metro startup button looks like. I wish to see 1 negative comment about the performance of the new OS. Shiny things doesn`t bring productivity.[/citation]

It is productivity we cry about !!! Win 8 seems to be fast, but that retarded notion of touch is in the way of productivity on PC !!!
We are all different and we tend to get better productivity in different ways...
But M$ does not give a shit about our like/dislike or productivity, they only see $$$$$$.
METRO is good only for tablets and nothing else ...
In real classic menu start (2000/XP) i have all sorted to my needs and what is more important i can easily access it without wall of programs "falling" on my face ...

G

Fuck you microsoft. Your arrogance is despicable. There's no point going into why this decision is so ridiculous, because you don't fucking listen anyway, so just Fuck You Microsoft, fuck you right up the pooper.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]DVo[/nom]the start menu is stupid. you dont need it. even in W7 i just find no use for it except to open control panel, and even that can be accessed in numerous other ways. anyone who is against removing the start menu simply can't accept change. windows needs change. 95 through 7 have been virtually the same as far as functionality, and frankly its outdated. it was outdated with XP 10 years ago. move on people. you dont need a start button. no one bitched when 95 came out and suddenly you didn't have a ton of cascaded windows on your desktop. it was a major change. removing the start button is a minor change. move on, people. im willing to bet that a good number of people bitching about removing the start button are the same people stuck on XP.[/citation]

Change is not necessarily improvement !!!
I remember when for DOS showed up Norton Commander that was improvement !
When Ms made Windows 3.x that was improvement and another was 95 !
Metro is not improvement merely a necessary change for tablets.
Ribbon is not improvement only annoying change.
Improvement is when You can make more no less with same or less of effort.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]sten_gn[/nom]Change is not necessarily improvement !!! I remember when for DOS showed up Norton Commander that was improvement ! When Ms made Windows 3.x that was improvement and another was 95 !Metro is not improvement merely a necessary change for tablets.Ribbon is not improvement only annoying change.Improvement is when You can make more no less with same or less of effort.[/citation]

Actually Metro is an improvement on start!!!

Old windows: Start > All programs > scroll down to your software maker > find the actual program, click

Metro is Start > push the program you like to run.

It looks ugly and it doesn`t shine ? Yes, Is less functional ? No.

As for the "ribbon". Before talking w/o kowing:

Normal Explorer bar :

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6205/ribonwhere.jpg

Explorer bar with the ribon drop down after you pressed the menu buttons:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2597/ribons.jpg

They are hiddine till you actually need them. And they offer quite good and fast functionality. And as you can see the window has Aero transparency as well.

Stop crying like pussies w/o actually trying the OS. And as for fast searching a program all you need to do is press the Windows key and start typing, just like the older OS.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

You forgot to include Windows 7 in there, bud.

Windows 7: Start > type a bit of its name > Enter. Easy.

G

I suspect that Microsoft didn't really use "verbiage" that directly blamed the consumer. Reporting has a tendency to ad flair and drama these days. I suspect that they really did look at telemetry data and figured for better or worse that the Start button simply wasn't used. So in a way, consumers may not have asked for it directly via vote up or down, but their use patterns did. This is how evolution works. If you don't use your rear limbs because you're always in the water swimming, you drop them or they adapt into fins, what have you. Why is this news? The ultimate point is that users will have to judge once they get their hands on the OS. Its that simple.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Actually Metro is an improvement on start!!! Old windows: Start > All programs > scroll down to your software maker > find the actual program, click Metro is Start > push the program you like to run.It looks ugly and it doesn`t shine ? Yes, Is less functional ? No.As for the "ribbon". Before talking w/o kowing:Normal Explorer bar : http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6205/ribonwhere.jpgExplorer bar with the ribon drop down after you pressed the menu buttons: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2597/ribons.jpgThey are hiddine till you actually need them. And they offer quite good and fast functionality. And as you can see the window has Aero transparency as well.Stop crying like pussies w/o actually trying the OS. And as for fast searching a program all you need to do is press the Windows key and start typing, just like the older OS.[/citation]

I did try win 8 and i find it annoying: metro, ribbon and other things.
If i cant use system the way i like it is useless to me.
M$ is burning bridges behind themselves, by removing futures that we use not often but still.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]You forgot to include Windows 7 in there, bud.Windows 7: Start > type a bit of its name > Enter. Easy.[/citation]
goes the same for 8, no difference

@sten_gn , how can the ribon annoy you since it`s hidden, and pops up only if you need something from there that can be accessed with the old style right click also . And as for the way you like it well ... i actually kinda grew up to like the new style even though i hated it before even trying it. I admit it needs more style but is functional and is fast.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

If there's no difference between 7 and 8, then your point is moot. You said it was an improvement over the Start menu, and then you say it's the same.

This has nothing to do with 'older Windows;' it's about W8 as an upgrade over W7.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hey ohim, have you actually ever used a computer or just a cell phone? The only thing Win8 is good for is phones/tablets. That is what the vast majority of the people here ( including myself) think.

jimmy_dog

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Why don't they take off the scroll bar on the side of the browser, too. I mean like everyone uses their mouse. And maybe the reload key. Everyone just hits f5. And while they are at it, they could take away that little speaker thing at the bottom right. Don't they know we have media controls on our keyboard for that?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Honestly, I rarely use the start menu. I only use 2 pins on my task bar. If Microsoft can provide me a faster way to get to my taskbar, or the 10 programs I use the most. Then I have no reason for the start button. For instance right click, with the programs right there to open, or ctrl-r that *** out. On my WP7, I also usually start things from the metro UI, and not the list of all programs I can get to with 1 quick swipe.

G

The UI interface is the start button. The start button is still there. This debate is ridiculous. Has anyone here even used the preview. It is still there.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]XpIsTheEnd[/nom]Almost everyone I know uses XP with all the bells and whistles turned off.Null theme with the simplest menus possible, no sorting of task windows, or grouping of anything.I am simply waiting until ReactOs is ready, then dropping MS the rest of the way.[/citation]
A - I can think of only a few people who I have meet that used XP in classic 90's mode. Its quite ugly... And with todays hardware, Windows XP and especially Windows7 runs quite smooth.

There are graphical problems with XP (window tearing) that DOES NOT happen with Windows7.
XP is a fine OS... But Windows7 blows it out of the water in many many ways. My ThinkPad never ran better and it came with XP originally.

B- ReactOS will never reach 1.0 public. MS lawyers are watching them. Count on it, they can easily destroy that project in a day. The way MS works... they'll watch and pounce if that project reaches the ability to be 99%+ usable.

Other than a few programs, might as well go iOs, Linux or ChromeOS. There is simply less and less need for a Windows OS environment.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]pierre1[/nom].Surely someone at Microsoft must have heard by now that most people actually like the start button.They must have, otherwise why did they then remove the start button code all together?Saying that it's what 'we wanted' is a shit excuse.[/citation]
The Star button is STILL there, its just a hidden sliver of empty space... and instead of a clean menu system it goes to a full screen with hidden items that you have to click again to see everything... which IS NOT editable. You cannot remove or rename jack shit.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]techy74[/nom]i am sorry but i dont see what all the fuss is all about. As long as i can still access all my programs though another action - i am happy. I use a Window s 7.5 phone, i am looking forward to see 8.[/citation]
You can... mostly. Its HOW you do it which is the problem. I too love the WP7 interface... I was PRO-WIN8 until I installed it on a computer... and it turned to pure shit rather quickly.

Metro on Windows8 should have been a launcher for MetroApps only... not in your face. Want to see your pics? Scroll past the ADS, theres your pics! Want to see your videos, scroll past the pages of AD videos they want you to buy.... theres your videos. You MUST have an MS account to use any of the built in metro apps other than calculator.

Go ahead... download it for free, stick it on an older unused HD stuck into your PC and get back to us. Takes about 15min to install.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Sorry to say it but a lot of guys around here are talking without even knowing what is Win 8 all about.1. There is a ribon in explorer but is hidden.2. There is aero in win 8 just looks a bit different.3. There still is a start menu is just that is has the metro interface that is not shiny to please everybody.[/citation]
1 - Very few people are bitching about Ribbon in explorer. The new explorer looks a bit better and its easy to collapse ribbon. Its a NON-issue.

2 - If the interface they are showing for the final Win8 desktop is real... it is BUTT-UGLY! I have the RP version of Windows8 (a month old) and the tweaked Aero looks quite nice IMHO. Less distracting than Win7/vista... its a slight tweak. But what they are showing now is FLAT ugly odd-looking squares.

3 - Yeah, Start button is now hidden because an complete IDIOT thought a TOUCH interface didn't need a highly-used button to be visible. and instead it goes to shitty touch-designed FULL screen interface for all the apps/tools what-nots. going back and forth gets OLD really quick.

If I was balmer, I would fire the IDIOT who came up with this shit, then I would fire myself for going along with it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Win 7 is not the same as XP, back then ppl still used underpowered PCs to use with Vista , which run just fine on the right hardware, Win 8 vs Win 7 is aesthetically problem ~~ i don`t see at least 1 negative comment about the performance of the new OS[/citation]
A) I missed it, you were offering to BUY everyone in the world new dual and quad core CPUs with 3~8GB of RAM to make the shit known as vista, functional? When vista was new, 1GB of RAM was $100. Its not like today in which I just bought 8GB for $42 off the shelf. Vista was buggy shit that didn't work right, its memory problems is the worst, well documented on this site and any other. The look and operation of vista wasn't the problem, its performance and how it worked with hardware was the issue. The UAC made the computer unusable and that meant posts from Pro-vista users "just turn it off"... gee, thanks.

B) Windows8 boot up and desktop operations are great. There are many little desktop enhancements. but for some stupid reason, MS still uses Win95 era purple-blue ugly pie-chart for drives. Anyway, no... metro sucks for daily usage. Windows8 will never touch my hardware, just like VISTA never touch anything I owned. I'd rather use XP before I go Win8.

C) if those screenshots of the "no more Aero" look is true... Win8 will be as ugly as Windows95.

D) I have the latest public Win8 on a dedicated desktop computer. It runs great on it, no complaints about the performance. Its rock steady... oh yeah, its a tweaked up WIN7 with a shitty Metro interface bolted to its ass! *PS when I said Win8 won't touch my hardware, I don't include a test PC.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rayayyeloes[/nom]I suspect that they really did look at telemetry data and figured for better or worse that the Start button simply wasn't used. So in a way, consumers may not have asked for it directly via vote up or down, but their use patterns did. The ultimate point is that users will have to judge once they get their hands on the OS. Its that simple.[/citation]
A) that is true to some point. I clean up the start menu. I pin the top few programs on my task bar and some on my Start menu (Not ALL programs)... I use the JUMP list to show my last 10 files per app. Afterthat... I don't use the Start menu all that much. But when I do, I know where everything is at. I don't use PCWizard everyday... its in Maintenance. I don't need it pinned, I don't need it hidden. etc etc.

The thing about METRO is that YOU have to use it. And you are bouncing back and forth between metro and desktop. The design interface crap.

B) I have my hands on Windows8 which is a version before RTM. Go get it yourself.

C) I'm about to replace my Android phone... I was looking at getting a Nokia with Win7.5 on it.
So at my phone store... I looked at all the Androids and even considering getting an... iPhone. The only NEGs I have for the iPhone is (A) glass rear (B) more people want to steal it (C) less flexible on the options. I never cared much for my Android.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]theKeeper[/nom]The UI interface is the start button. The start button is still there. This debate is ridiculous. Has anyone here even used the preview. It is still there.[/citation]
er... no. Microsoft SAID they took off the Start button. But yeah, its still a BUTTON, but its HIDDEN... that the stupid fucking part. The charms are hidden... so even for a touch interface, they are hiding things you are supposed to use. If you miss the charm/whatever the hell it is area, it fades in and out. Gee, if it was a REAL button or something, then your AIM would be better, etc etc.

So YES, its STUPID to change the shape/hide a button and change its function to something else that doesn't make since on a mouse/keyboard system. So is it a touchscreen OS? yes, most of the time... but many functions can only be access through a KEYBOARD?!

Almost any function in Windows can be handled by the mouse.. right-click, whatever. No so with metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.