Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Only the idiots who can't navigate their machine or use computers in general 1. Pin huge amounts of applications to the taskbar 2.fill out the "user improvement programs"

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I stopped using Windows Start Menu [as much] because a lot of programs I install don't send folders there like they use to with Windows XP and prior versions. Especially older stuff.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
i am sorry but i dont see what all the fuss is all about. As long as i can still access all my programs though another action - i am happy. I use a Window s 7.5 phone, i am looking forward to see 8.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
yes i dont use w7 start menu because it suck badly.. for alternative i changed it with CLASSIC SHELL START MENU which is free.. then i can start to use w7 again. i dont pin apps to taskbar too.. i found it confusing, i need taskbar to switch between apps fast,efficient and confident, not for docking apps. microsoft just too dumb to realize what peoples want.

inanition02

Distinguished
Not having a start button is great for the majority of users who use IE (or maybe Chrome/Firefox, since they think it makes them "techy"), iTunes, MS Word and...that's it. Why would I open the start menu when I only use 3 programs? For those of us with dozens of applications and utilities, it's stinks.

pierre1

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I like the way people actually think Microsoft reads these forums. They don't. That's why they do what they do.

They think everyone in the world is an a..hole.

Surely someone at Microsoft must have heard by now that most people actually like the start button.
They must have, otherwise why did they then remove the start button code all together?

Saying that it's what 'we wanted' is a shit excuse.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I saw something similar in Ubuntu.They bring up DASH and removed the start(or whatever they call it).The ting is that if you knew what to search for you are good to go,but for a new guy it is hell.
Same thing here too ,if you sit in unknown computer you don't know where to look for the programs.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Yes, but in Win7 you don't turn the computer on and have nothing but the TASKBAR covering your entire screen!!!

The computer should boot to the DESKTOP and the Start page as an "app of apps" if you will. What really irritates me is the feeling that I've downgraded to Metro w/ the desktop tacked on rather than having a better version of Win7 with more robust start menu.

TO FIX THIS.... Have the computer BOOT TO THE DESKTOP. Leave the option to PIN your most used apps. Then allow users to QUICKLY search their computer somehow (like in Win7... win key -> type what you want to search). The start page only comes up when you WANT IT and it should load FULL VERSIONS of programs and not some crappy cut down version for metro.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I hate to say it, but look at Macs. They allow you to use the dock for folders...... such as the app folder. This folder expands to show your apps. It doesn't completely take over your system. Hell, I wouldn't really use launch pad, but at least they did that full screen nonsense tastefully.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
lol i doubt any of the win 8 haters actually read this article, it quite clearly said the majority of users barely use the start button but prefer to just make shortcuts or pin them on the taskbar (they know this because of the customer improvement program. you know that annoying bubble that pops up after a fresh install), so now that we know that then all these people that troll anything win8 related are in the minority.

personally i used the betas and rc and i dont miss the start menu since i barely use it anymore. i usually just hit the start button and type what im after. though 1 complaint i got is the new control panel is a little confusing when i first used win8

Co_Matrix

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I have to say, been using the new start menu on both windows 8 and server beta 8....... it works damn well, in my opinion people bitching and moaning about the new start menu, have never used it before, it works like a charm... no problems whatsoever.... come on peeps, get used to it, we live in a technology driven world, we just need to accept change, but as humans, change is the one thing we fear most!!

I say, good work for Microsoft on the new metro style start menu... love it!!

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
This is all baloney. The only time I ever pin anything to the task bar is when I do it by accident, which is quite often. I wonder if all there stats are flawed by this?

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Yes, but in Win7 you don't turn the computer on and have nothing but the TASKBAR covering your entire screen!!!The computer should boot to the DESKTOP and the Start page as an "app of apps" if you will. What really irritates me is the feeling that I've downgraded to Metro w/ the desktop tacked on rather than having a better version of Win7 with more robust start menu.TO FIX THIS.... Have the computer BOOT TO THE DESKTOP. Leave the option to PIN your most used apps. Then allow users to QUICKLY search their computer somehow (like in Win7... win key -> type what you want to search). The start page only comes up when you WANT IT and it should load FULL VERSIONS of programs and not some crappy cut down version for metro.[/citation]

you do know the start key + search feature is still there and to be honest it is a little bit more noob friendly, so the only thing thats true is yes the metro start menu comes up first but is it so hard to just tap the start key (pressing the start key sends u strait to the desktop or move your mouse to the top left of the screen & 1 left click or click the tile thats labeled "desktop")

also the start button is still there, u just move the mouse to the bottem left of the screen and a small box appears labeled "start" or if thats not enough goto your desktop and move you mouse to the top right and a more slick version of the start menu appears.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]You know you can pin programs to your Start Menu right? That's what I do. I hate desktop icons. Even my Recycle Bin is to the far right of my taskbar just before my system tray icons.[/citation]
Used to hate desktop icons too, then I got Fences.

G

Microsoft can keep the Start menu as long as they don't remove the "Search Programs and Files" at the bottom of the current start menu (and its easy accessability).
I havn't really used the convensional start menu since they included the "Search...", so if that is gone it would be as if they removed my thumbs!

But ye... Looks like Win8 is going the way of Vista, at least on the Destop.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Sorry to say it but a lot of guys around here are talking without even knowing what is Win 8 all about.

1. There is a ribon in explorer but is hidden.
2. There is aero in win 8 just looks a bit different.
3. There still is a start menu is just that is has the metro interface that is not shiny to please everybody.

You guys complain that you`re forced to pin stuff on your task bar and say Mac`s will sell better because of it, well here`s a shocker for you guys ... at the bottom of Mac OS you find a thing similar to the windows task bar that has fukin applications pinned to it!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There's only so much you can pin before your task bar gets overloaded. Microsoft hasn't even made it easy to have a Quick Launch toolbar, anymore. With Windows 7, you have to jump through hoops to get it. I will admit, I don't really use my Start Button all that much, because I've already got my Quick Launch set up the way I want it. I hope Microsoft doesn't take that away.

They'll also soon learn quickly with sales how "appreciative" we are about the omission of the start button.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Of course people are pinning favorite items to the taskbar. It's a great feature. It doesn't mean the start menu is any less important. In fact it's still very important. How do we access the programs we want to pin without the start menu. Go F yourself MS.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
my issue with metro and win 8 is nothing to do with the start button reomval, though that is a bit of bs there .i still regularly use the start button on win7. any way my biggestest issue is that metro is A-- ugly. and makes me think of a subway advertising board. it's just hidious. Bring back AERO birng back teh start button and for FU--S sake LOOSE METRO!

Status
Not open for further replies.