Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]I skip every other microsoft OS because they seem to turn out to be junk, seems to work out great. Started out with: DOS--->98--->XP--->Win7--->?Skipped: 95 ME Vista Win8Thats my plan anyways...[/citation]
I agree and this is, I lost count, umpteenth Windows 8 article ... getting very boring.

Every other OS release from MS is Crap!

Every forum I go, everyone is fuming about no Start button on Windows 8
Where are those users that did not want the Start button. Were they Mac users by any chance?
Just give us the choice to put the damn Start button back!

G

How do you see the screen background with this metro garbage clogging up the view, people need to see their brats on their work computer, and I need my Aston Martin DBS in full HD with out loads of bloody lego bricks in front dammit.
Saying that I haven't used win8 either so if there is a way of turning off the blocks just forget the previous rant...

G

Ok you guys need to grow up and change with the times. You still have the start menu access, it is not hard to place it on your task bar as a quick launch. right click task bar> new tool bar> navigate to here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (or just copy and paste that into the address for the new tool bar. Oh wow that was really hard.

To add a program or folder to the metro start up screen is another one of the OMFG it is so hard I cannot possibly figure it out. just Right click the Folder/EXE/file, then pin to start menu. For them most widely used things like my COmputer Control panal, right click empty spot on metro screen goto all apps then add what you want to the metro screen, or take away. You can even add the Run command.

themarin8r

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Nnor[/nom]I do not understand the problem. The button is gone but all the functionality is still there. Instead of clicking a button you use the windows key. You see the all the apps you would have in the start menu. You start typing and it filters/searches just like in vista and win 7.[/citation]
I am not sure why you got thumbs down so much for this because it is true. That, and the majority of programs I use in 7 I have indeed pinned to the task bar to make it faster/easier/more convenient. I have fiddled around with 8 a little bit, not a lot, but while it is indeed very different, it is really not all that bad. It is just different, and if Microsoft pushes this in Windows 9 as well, then all the naysayers will be a step behind. I am not saying you all have to like it, but get to know it more before you judge. I feel like the majority of people saying it sucks are looking at 2 or 3 things and making a judgement and that is it. Granted, they may be big differences, but change is change, and without it, we do not progress and remain stagnant.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
For the crazy ppl out there , there is a ribbon in explorer in windows 8 but is actually hidden, you have to push a menu button for that ribbon to drop down, the start menu is actually working the same way , you go to your left down corner of the screen you push the left mouse button and instead of a small pop up menu you get the new Metro start that you can pin on it w/e program you like to pin on it and is very fast. Stop crying about a change. I bet if Apple came with something similar and with their glassy style look everybody would be pissing their pants right now and call it revolutionary * 2001 MS Tablet vs 2010 Apple Tablet*

I repeat, give the OS a try, see how fast it is first, it might not be perfect but for sure is not another Vista.

G

I have been running Win 8 now for a while on my laptop.

Initially I was not to happy with no Start button, but after a while, I have got used to pressing the windows key and typing-- OH wait, thats exactly how I used to use the start button!

The only problem is, doing this takes me back to the F**KING ABOMINATION that is the CR***Y nursery school GUI that is Metro......

Now that F***S me off more than losing a button!

Let me explain very clearly.

Microsoft, - YOU are the reason I will not pay for Windows 8.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Even if people use the start button less, is that any reason to completely remove any option of using it?

PS: My setup in Win7
Extremely frequently used programs (daily use) pinned to taskbar
Frequently used programs pinned to start menu
Search for everything else

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]I have been running Win 8 now for a while on my laptop. Initially I was not to happy with no Start button, but after a while, I have got used to pressing the windows key and typing-- OH wait, thats exactly how I used to use the start button!The only problem is, doing this takes me back to the F**KING ABOMINATION that is the CR***Y nursery school GUI that is Metro......Now that F***S me off more than losing a button!Let me explain very clearly.Microsoft, - YOU are the reason I will not pay for Windows 8.[/citation] Windows + F does exactly the very same thing, but faster.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]Even if people use the start button less, is that any reason to completely remove any option of using it?PS: My setup in Win7Extremely frequently used programs (daily use) pinned to taskbarFrequently used programs pinned to start menuSearch for everything else[/citation]
It does the same thing, but in kinda full screen mode and with a bit of functionality on the part of some metro applications.

The start button is not gone guys :) it just looks different.

G

True yes
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Windows + F does exactly the very same thing, but faster.[/citation]

But the point I am making, is I HATE METRO GUI!

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Well I do pin common programs to the task bar. There are still lots of programs that I access from the start menu. If I keepet them all on the task bar it be a mess.
He is also getting his info from the windows user experience program and honestly how many people use that.
Ill bet it took more time to make it so we cant have a start menu. Then it would have just add in an option for the old start menu.

I wonder if MS will break the cycle of every other O/S being a flop (i.g. 95-good, 98-bad, 98SE-good, Millennium-bad, XP-good, Vista-bad, WIn7-good, Win8-?) I've talked to several beta testers and they hate the start button being gone and don't plan to recommend Win8 to any of their desktop customers. Removing the ability to add it or a 3rd party version of it seems like a poorly thought out decision. I know businesses will not be upgrading so this will just turn off dedicated desktop O/S people, like the baby boomers. SO Win8 is just being marketed to the smart phone generation, time will tell if this is a wise decision.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
"Facepalm"

Bunch of idiots is what they are. I used both the desktop, taskbar and startmenu depending on what i need. Less frequent software i have on the start menu. Games and such i have on my desktop and software development, music and internet i've got on my task bar. The less tech savvy might be the ones using the taskbar the moste.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So what they say is that their users who still prefer the start menu can go to hell and ohh lets go to some lengths and disable the possible ways to add it by software as well and then claim its the users best. This is the reason every other windows is a fail.

10 echo "MS makes a good windows that sales well since they listened to what their users wanted and because of that they get cocky."
20 echo "The cocky MS think they know what the users want and won't listen so the next windows fail miserably. The MS is now forced to listen to their customers due to poor sales and weak adaptation and make the next windows after what the users want."
30 goto 10

Why not listen all the time?

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
So let me get this straight, his line of thinking goes somewhat like this:
Since most people are using cars as transportation, we might as well get rid of trains!!

"Most illogical" - Spock

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't bother to read the thread, just commenting on the article: the reason my Start Menu usage dropped, Microsoft, is that it doesn't take more than 2 seconds for me to find what I want in the Start Menu. Windows key, type three letters, Enter before it even loads, bam.

If I can't do that in Windows 8, I'll stick with 7 then. I'm content with how fast W7 is, how compatible, and how easy to use it is.

no one likes change - typical

for the people who finally moved up from the dinosaur XP to vista/7 (same functionality dont tell me its not) you would have eventually noticed you dont actually have to look through the start menu when you can just type in into the start menu to find something - evolution

now microsoft is doing the next step

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]I don't care if some random manager at MS prefers the taskbar over the start menu. That doesn't mean you turn a blind eye and alienate the majority.I haven't tried Metro yet, and I'll reserve judgment on Win8 until I do, but Microsoft should know this is BAD PR[/citation]
OK firstly you freely admit you haven't used Metro, so automatically you don't know what you are talking about
Secondly, it wasn't some random manager, it was based on telemetry feedback from the customer improvement program
Thirdly, who is this majority? A few loudmouths in a tech forum versus the millions of people that had their actual usage monitored to prove that the Start menu wa sdying out in favour of taskbar pinned items
I am sick of the MS bashing and picking on something so small, don't use Windows 8, I would prefer if you didn't, while you are at it stop using Windows 7 as well, if you are so insistant on sticking your head in the past then go back to Windows 95.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Meh, as long as there is a VERY fast, easily accessible search feature for system tools and applications, I won't care that the Start button is gone. That is what was so great about the start button... easily typing in "network" or"device manager" and having a great list of things you wanted instead of having to click through all the right folders/options before you get to what you wanted.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I don't know how not using it as much translates into we don't want it...
Just because it's not used as much, doesn't mean it's not wanted. I use it all the time, and personally, I don't like it when people speak for me. If they planned on removing it, then they should have done a survey first.

The whole reason I loved Microsoft in the first place, was because they weren't like Apple, but this is definitely Apple thinking.

I want to decide my own features. I want flash, regardless if it drains the battery, but apple doesn't get that, they just take away whatever they want, and the customer doesn't have a choice. Same thing happened with siri. Bought that, then they took it away from iphone 4, and they say it won't run, when I know it will. &^%$ APPLE!!

Hopefully microsoft fix's this, after listening to the public. Hopefully they don't just ignore us apple style. I'm not gonna buy a windows without a start button.

Ok you guys need to grow up and change with the times. You still have the start menu access, it is not hard to place it on your task bar as a quick launch. right click task bar> new tool bar> navigate to here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (or just copy and paste that into the address for the new tool bar. Oh wow that was really hard.

We're told to grow up by a guy named Dragonsmurf LMAO!!, If we had the start bar we wouldn't have to do any of that because the program would be added to the "all programs" list automatically. So far it looks ugly, it's dumb, it's a ABOMINATION, and a hassle. I'm not reading a lot of Pro Win 8 comments except for Dragonsmurf and ohim. Time will tell whether it will be accepted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.