Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is true, MS knows it, you all know it. It is nobody's opinion...... I like the start menu, but not being a total idiot, I can see that I BARELY use it ever. It almost never comes up, and don't act like you're some exception with more complicated work than me.

[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Win 7 is not the same as XP, back then ppl still used underpowered PCs to use with Vista , wich run just fine on the right hardware, Win 8 vs Win 7 is aesthetically problem , it doesn`t matter that is runs better and starts up way faster than Win 7, the fact that metro start is not shiny makes every "idiot" on the net bash it. And for the last time, Win 8 still has Aero. No wonder Apple does so well at the moment, people care more about the looks than the functionality, so is with 8 , i don`t see at least 1 negative comment about the performance, of the new OS, everybody cries about how the metro startup button looks like. I wish to see 1 negative comment about the performance of the new OS. Shiny things doesn`t bring productivity.[/citation]

I second that there was nothing wrong with Vista it ran like a charm on my last 2 machines.

[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]First they remove the "quick launch bar" in favor of that annoying "pin" feature, so I had it add it back as a toolbar to get it. (I myself prefer only things RUNNING to be on the actual task bar, not 50 things 'pinned' to it). I even wish I could get rid of annoying "pin this to taskbar" option. as I hit it too often trying to right click close a window.Now they want to take the start button away? with no way to re add it? Windows 7 for me until whatever version comes out after the god awful 8.[/citation]

Removed the quick launch bar? Are you out of your mind? It's still there in Windows 7 and Windows 8. Just right click on the task bar, click tool bars, make a tool bar, right click on the tool bar, and disable the show text option for that tool bar. Voila, it's now an exact replica of the older quick-launch bar. MS didn't remove it, they simply didn't enable it by default anymore.

[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]I second that there was nothing wrong with Vista it ran like a charm on my last 2 machines.[/citation]

There was plenty wrong with Vista. It needed to much RAM and such to run on most computers, had poor driver support, and crashed often on many computers. MS alleviated it's problems fairly quickly, but that doesn't mean that Vista never sucked, only that it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

[citation][nom]sten_gn[/nom]It is productivity we cry about !!! Win 8 seems to be fast, but that retarded notion of touch is in the way of productivity on PC !!!We are all different and we tend to get better productivity in different ways...But M$ does not give a shit about our like/dislike or productivity, they only see $$$$$$.METRO is good only for tablets and nothing else ...In real classic menu start (2000/XP) i have all sorted to my needs and what is more important i can easily access it without wall of programs "falling" on my face ...[/citation]

There's a free, quick and easy to install program called Classic Shell... There are also several others like it. They give you a highly customize-able start menu. If this is the only problem left with Windows 8, then there you go. A five minute Google search could have gotten you this information.

[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]You forgot to include Windows 7 in there, bud.Windows 7: Start > type a bit of its name > Enter. Easy.[/citation]

Windows 8 does that too. I'm not championing Windows 8, but most of the bashing is either wrong or just plain trolling and it's getting old.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The bitching is not that "its not there" - its how the stupid metro interface works with the desktop mode, can't you figure that out?

Hiding buttons that people may need or use is plain stupid.

oihan

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
[citation][nom]offerings12[/nom]Most people that enjoy the Start Menu Probably didn't even have the Customer Experience Enabled. I am an IT administrator and i know for a Fact that most Users turn that crap off... So your gathering your information from uninformed users that are too stupid to turn the Micro$ information gathering off...[/citation]
^This times 1,000,000.

I think it's a huge mistake getting rid of the Start Button. This will definitely be one release I won't be buying. I too work in IT and I've had a few customers ask me about Windows 8. When I tell them about the removal of the Start button they start telling me how that is such a bad idea, and why they hate the idea of it being removed. Mind you these are people who don't know very much about computers but depend on them to do their job. Then you have those of us who know about computers. Who is M$ trying to fool here?

[citation][nom]oihan[/nom]^This times 1,000,000.I think it's a huge mistake getting rid of the Start Button. This will definitely be one release I won't be buying. I too work in IT and I've had a few customers ask me about Windows 8. When I tell them about the removal of the Start button they start telling me how that is such a bad idea, and why they hate the idea of it being removed. Mind you these are people who don't know very much about computers but depend on them to do their job. Then you have those of us who know about computers. Who is M$ trying to fool here?[/citation]

The start menu is easy to install if you want it in Windows 8. I don't think that anyone should hold the lack of a start menu against that OS because of how easy it is to install a freeware program that gives back the start menu. The only remaining issue that I see is whether or not what's left of Metro still bothers you (or any other user).

VTHobbes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
The start screen doesn't work as well for having a lot of stuff. Sure, the old XP Start Menu would get ridiculous too, but the Vista/7 one was more manageable.
What I did as part of testing Windows 8 was utilize Ninite to install...well...nearly everything Ninite can install. The result is several screens of disorganized generic icons, illustrating just how well the Start screen doesn't work for traditional apps. Nevermind that I don't want to take over the entire screen just because I didn't put the damn calculator or something on the taskbar.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
LOL ? I cant really believe in what i read now ... This is riddiculous. How about they realize that most of people does NOT report in windows experience program AND i really dont know anyone in my company that pins so much apps to taskbar. They rather open menu start and type the name of the program in the search box or even 2 first letters - than click. Chaitanya Sareen says bullshit because even if they wanted to please some of the users i dont see how pinning apps to taksbar is any similar to metro and even if it was then i dont have any idea WHY THEY F*****G block menu start ? Why not include and option after isntall "Which user interface do You want to use ? " with 2 options to choose - menu start or metro... This is not really hard and all Chaitanya Sareen says is 1 big bullshit - they jsut want to force people to use this crap metro interface so they buy other devices with it. Bit i tell YOu something - if there wont be an option to enable menu start in windows 8 - then im gonna stick to windows 7 ... XP endured vista so will windows 7 endure another 10 years over windows 8... thats the fact and no bullshit said by any microsoft employees wont change the fact that win8 will be a complete failure...

G

Of course people started using the taskbar more frequently, it's the 80/20 rule. You should be able to access 80% of desired functionality as easily as possible, but you still need that 20... so why go to such lengths to remove the start menu?

The reason as far as I can tell is because by literally forcing you in to using the new start screen, you're exposed to the Windows Store and apps with ads in them. It's totally a profiteering mechanism, like corralling people off the ride in to the gift shop... but why make me go through the gift shop every time I want to open an application...

[citation][nom]izajasz[/nom]LOL ? I cant really believe in what i read now ... This is riddiculous. How about they realize that most of people does NOT report in windows experience program AND i really dont know anyone in my company that pins so much apps to taskbar. They rather open menu start and type the name of the program in the search box or even 2 first letters - than click. Chaitanya Sareen says bullshit because even if they wanted to please some of the users i dont see how pinning apps to taksbar is any similar to metro and even if it was then i dont have any idea WHY THEY F*****G block menu start ? Why not include and option after isntall "Which user interface do You want to use ? " with 2 options to choose - menu start or metro... This is not really hard and all Chaitanya Sareen says is 1 big bullshit - they jsut want to force people to use this crap metro interface so they buy other devices with it. Bit i tell YOu something - if there wont be an option to enable menu start in windows 8 - then im gonna stick to windows 7 ... XP endured vista so will windows 7 endure another 10 years over windows 8... thats the fact and no bullshit said by any microsoft employees wont change the fact that win8 will be a complete failure...[/citation]

Hitting the start button and typing in search still works in Metro, so that's one major complaint of yours that isn't even true.

G

Oh people are pinning to little taskbar more than using start menu. So make a huge obnoxious screen with everything on it and interrupt the user experience and bounce them around in a couple different user interfaces. People don't use all the doors and windows in house so let us remove them all and replace then with syrofoam.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
To Anonymous "The reason as far as I can tell is because by literally forcing you in to using the new start screen, you're exposed to the Windows Store and apps with ads in them. It's totally a profiteering mechanism, like corralling people off the ride in to the gift shop"

So a bit like when you download a bit of freeware like Firefox or a free Antivirus, then at the install are bombarded with offers of add-on software, toolbars and various other ad-supported shovelware - getting it from the Metro Marketplace makes no difference and you are picking a fault with something that already exists in desktop

Oh no so 2-4gb of ram is "too much" yet a standard today, Windows 7 runs good because all machines have 4+gb

Poor driver support = NOT Vista's fault

How did it "used to be" ?

This whole product cycle from Microsoft has been awful. Windows 8 is terrible and I know MS fans boys will start crying but the fact you have to force customers to take it speaks for it self it sucks period. Office 2013 another awful horrible version of the MS cash cow. You got to wonder who was asleep at the switch when this pile was approved. Check customer feed back on the internet the reviews on it are as bad as Windows 8 if not worse. I got a copy of MS 2013 pro and installed it. Let me tell you they are right it is the worst version MS has EVER produced just horrible. The MS Tablets, what a joke! 1 billion in advertising on people dancing with tablets because lets face it we all do that at work and home right? I wonder what the Xbox One launch will be like I hear people have been dumping their MS stock. Could Steve actually dug a hole so deep MS can't crawl out? Lets hope not.

czerro

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

It's obfuscation for no reason...except one I can think of. App store front. Whether or not you agree that metro is questionable, why remove the start menu as an option? People are clearly riled about it, no? Tons of users use third party start menu resurrection apps.

Boot directly to a store front and make the user accept it as a norm and make it's integration feel seamless and natural. That is the simple goal. Not efficiency, not user friendliness.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
"Boot directly to a store front and make the user accept it as a norm"

Except you aren't booting to a store front, unless you have found a way to boot directly into Marketplace App. Try harder next time. I still use the traditional desktop for most things with ClassicShell, but also use Metro with an App called SteamTile. Takes all my Steam games and gives them a live tile each that act as a launcher, very simple and with custom background wallpaper looks way better than Big Picture mode that Steam does by itself. The Metro screen is also the perfect place to have the few programs you would run full screen, like TVCatchup, where windowed with borders looks stupid. There is a time and place for everything, 90% of what I do is in desktop and W8 lets me do all of it without flaws, for the rest Metro is just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.