Question Mid Level Gaming/Streaming 13th Gen & Mobo combo

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my current PC with a 13th Gen Intel chip from a 9th gen.

I'm going to be moving a 3080Ti, Elgato Cam Link Pro, and HD60 Pro to the new system. I'll likely use an m.2 as a boot drive, possibly a second as a game drive, and likely a 5400RPM as mass storage for possible content creation.

What concerns should I be aware of with regards to PCIE lanes? If I look at a B760, I've seen indicators that it has 14 lanes, but isn't a GPU 16 on it's own?

If anyone has some ideas on parts and/or can let me know how to determine my PCIE lane needs I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,
FK

Reactions: Why_Me

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

I'm going to be moving a 3080Ti, Elgato Cam Link Pro, and HD60 Pro to the new system. I'll likely use an m.2 as a boot drive, possibly a second as a game drive, and likely a 5400RPM as mass storage for possible content creation.

What concerns should I be aware of with regards to PCIE lanes? If I look at a B760, I've seen indicators that it has 14 lanes, but isn't a GPU 16 on it's own?

If anyone has some ideas on parts and/or can let me know how to determine my PCIE lane needs I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,
FK
It still has 20 lanes from the CPU but 14 from the chipset.
Your GPU and one M.2 should run off the 20 CPU lanes.

Reactions: fkouloufakos
Hi all,

Thank you,
FK
You're fine with a B760 board as long as you don't plan on using more than one M.2 PCIe SSD.

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
Good question. I didn't consider that. Just curious but will you be using DDR5 or DDR4. The reason I ask is because an H670 chipset would give you plenty of PCIe lanes.

Shoot!
I'd likely be looking at DDR4 for budgetary reasons. H670 or H770? I was hoping to avoid having to do any bios flashing to get the 13th gen to work :D
How would I calculate the number of lanes needed? Is it, 16 for the GPU, 4 for the m.2? If so, I believe the Cam Link is 4 and the HD60 only 1. I could be VERY wrong there though.
Does it matter the GPU is on the PCIE 5th gen slot?

Shoot!
I'd likely be looking at DDR4 for budgetary reasons. H670 or H770? I was hoping to avoid having to do any bios flashing to get the 13th gen to work :D
How would I calculate the number of lanes needed? Is it, 16 for the GPU, 4 for the m.2? If so, I believe the Cam Link is 4 and the HD60 only 1. I could be VERY wrong there though.
Does it matter the GPU is on the PCIE 5th gen slot?
According to the Asus site this board is updated with the latest bios for 13 gen cpu's.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vv...a1700-motherboard-tuf-gaming-h670-pro-wifi-d4
ASUS TUF GAMING H670-PRO WIFI D4 $179.99

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
The only B760 boards I could find that have slots for those to run off the chipset will only run them at X1 speed.
But, for example, the Cam Link COULD potentially go into the second x16 slot right? It likely isn't a full x16 but maybe at least x4? :)
According to the Asus site these boards are updated with the latest bios for 13 gen cpu's.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vv...a1700-motherboard-tuf-gaming-h670-pro-wifi-d4

Oh for sure that the tech is still long off, but i wasn't sure if lanes from that slot would be different :)

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
According to the Asus site this board is updated with the latest bios for 13 gen cpu's.

And of course it's an extra $70 here making it 250.

Is it possible I could get away with a Asus Prime B760 hr H770 PLUS D4? Those two come in around $215 Cad but I was worried the extra cards could potentially interfere with the GPU potential :(

And of course it's an extra $70 here making it 250.

Is it possible I could get away with a Asus Prime B760 hr H770 PLUS D4? Those two come in around $215 Cad but I was worried the extra cards could potentially interfere with the GPU potential :(
Two years away from PCIe 5.0 gpus. What I'm wondering is if it will affect the capture card if you use an M.2 SSD.

Two years away from PCIe 5.0 gpus. What I'm wondering is if it will affect the capture card if you use an M.2 SSD.

The GPU and the m.2 will run off the CPU lanes. The Capture cards, extra m.2 storage, and the sata drives will run off the chipset. I do not see any real issues with any of the mentioned motherboards for this task. The capture cards are not very high bandwidth.

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
The GPU and the m.2 will run off the CPU lanes. The Capture cards, extra m.2 storage, and the sata drives will run off the chipset. I do not see any real issues with any of the mentioned motherboards for this task. The capture cards are not very high bandwidth.

Thanks for your input. Is there a way to set which slots use which lanes? ie CPU or MOBO lanes?

fkouloufakos

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019

Thanks for the article. I'll give it a quick read :)

Thanks for your input. Is there a way to set which slots use which lanes? ie CPU or MOBO lanes?
No, lanes are traced into the motherboard when manufactured. You cannot add 8 lanes to a 8 lane slot for instance. The choice of motherboard will determine the exact lane distribution. You can find this information in the specifications section for motherboards or their downloadable manual on the site for the particular motherboard you are interested in.