Question Middle fan blade broken on my RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo ?

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Hi
Last night I found that the ants are coming out of my GPU and in the process of cleaning with vacuum I broke my GPU middle fan blade. I fixed it with plastic gum but it’s impossible to set the correct blade angle and I observe a minute vibration which I can feel when touching the GPU.

Their is a minute vibration when all three fans at 70 to 100% speed

I need help on this following questions:
  1. Can this minute vibration damage my PC ?
  2. If i need to replace my GPU fan, from where should i buy one (like a Trusted source)?
I am seeing a lot of fan models up to 30 series including Zotac but not 40 series fans right now, will it take some time to get those fans in to the market?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
This minute vibration can damage the pc?
The whole PC? No.

HDDs create far worse vibrations than your small off-balance GPU fan.

if i need to replace my GPU fan, from where should i buy one (like a Trusted source)?
Amazon? Egg? Best Buy? Take your pick. Ebay too if component is hard to find from big retailers.
I avoid AliExpress though.

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
The whole PC? No.

HDDs create far worse vibrations than your small off-balance GPU fan.

Amazon? Egg? Best Buy? Take your pick. Ebay too if component is hard to find from big retailers.
I avoid AliExpress though.
Its RTX 4090 and i cant find any GPU fans on the sites you mentioned, AliExpress has one but i cant trust it and its banned in india.
Their is a minute vibration when all three fans at 70 to 100% speed, makes me feel uncomfortable.

I am seeing a lot of fan models up to 30 series including Zotac but not 40 series fans right now, will it take some time to get those fans in to the market?

Last edited:
I need help on this following questions.
  1. This minute vibration can damage the pc?
  2. if i need to replace my GPU fan, from where should i buy one (like a Trusted source)?
Break off more blades, to make the fan symmetric.
It has 9 blades. So you have to remove 2 more.

Or you can disconnect the fan. Or remove it completely.

hyfeXiq.jpeg

Replacement fans you may be able to find on ebay.

Last edited:

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Break off more blades, to make the fan symmetric.
It has 9 blades. So you have to remove 2 more.

Or you can disconnect the fan. Or remove it completely.

hyfeXiq.jpeg

Replacement fans you may be able to find on ebay.

This is the correct solution.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. And if you get flat tire on your Tesla car, then replace the car also. LOL
Finding new tire on sale is by far easier than finding the specific fan for that RTX 4090. Not to mention the hassle replacing a fan, which usually means complete disassembly of the GPU + repaste it afterwards.

You do not have to disassemble your fancy Tesla to replace a tire. So, poor analogy. :no:

Reactions: PEnns

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Analogy here is - for a minor damage fix (cheap) you suggest replacing the whole thing (extremely expensive).
For those people who are rich and can't stand minor defects, getting a new hardware is peanuts money wise. Least amount of hassle this way.

Most folks, who can't afford the most expensive consumer GPU to the date, are far more lenient when it comes to minor defects, since they don't have money for hardware replacement.

Ralston18

Titan
Breaking off blades is likely to cause more harm than good.

Not likely that the blades can be evenly broken off and thus "restore" balance. Good chance of causing further GPU damage in the attempt.

Plus the missing blades are likely to reduce air flow and cooling. And the different airflow patterns may cause more vibrations and noise.

Look around for a damaged RTX 4090 (cheap or free) from which to salvage a working fan. Or maybe even the same fan if used on another model RTX.

Likely that GPU warranty is gone but breaking off more blades is not recommended.

= = = =

As for the ants- they are probably just looking for someplace warm to live. I had a colony nestle up under a power converter some years ago. Try to block further access to the room and PC. Or at least arrange things around so you can see if the ants are trying to move in agaIn.

For those people who are rich and can't stand minor defects, getting a new hardware is peanuts money wise.
Broken/unbalanced fans are extremely annoying.
I bet you wouldn't be able to tolerate that, if you got that type of damage.
Not for long at least.

Anyway - this seems to be more about your personal feelings not being wealthy enough and
dishing out your frustrations on people, who can afford more than you can.

And you know nothing about the person.
May be he took out a loan to get the card and uses it for professional workloads.

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
For those people who are rich and can't stand minor defects, getting a new hardware is peanuts money wise. Least amount of hassle this way.

Most folks, who can't afford the most expensive consumer GPU to the date, are far more lenient when it comes to minor defects, since they don't have money for hardware replacement.
Bro, I didnt say i want to replace whole GPU but just the GPU fan which is not yet present in the market.
If i am that rich i would never post it in the forum.

manoj327

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Breaking off blades is likely to cause more harm than good.

Not likely that the blades can be evenly broken off and thus "restore" balance. Good chance of causing further GPU damage in the attempt.

Plus the missing blades are likely to reduce air flow and cooling. And the different airflow patterns may cause more vibrations and noise.

Look around for a damaged RTX 4090 (cheap or free) from which to salvage a working fan. Or maybe even the same fan if used on another model RTX.

Likely that GPU warranty is gone but breaking off more blades is not recommended.

= = = =

As for the ants- they are probably just looking for someplace warm to live. I had a colony nestle up under a power converter some years ago. Try to block further access to the room and PC. Or at least arrange things around so you can see if the ants are trying to move in agaIn.
I reattached the broken blade which reduced the 80% of vibrations but 20% not fixed (occurs on 100% speed).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am curious what would happen if you reached out to the partner to see if they can sell you the proper fan or shroud? Also curious to know if you couldn't perhaps get your hands on a water block and make a small loop for the card? This could possibly get into more than other type of replacement, etc.

As a side note, you shouldn't use a vacuum on your system as it creates static discharge and can damage. Blow or brush with a static free bristle brush.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Whoa...

You know, doing away with the cooler shroud and fans entirely, and zip-tying case fans to the heatsink is also an option...

Lol, this rather reminds me of some stuff I have seen on a YT channel. I cannot think of which creator, probably recall sometime later tonight and blurt it out at the dinner table while being stared at questionably. I mean, is it a bad idea if it works?