[SOLVED] Migrating a big RAID array between cases

M4RS

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
Hi first post here, hope this is the right place to put it.
When putting together my latest rig I made an oversight and my AIO cooler's radiator did not fit in it (its currently duct taped into the corner of the case 🤮). Its obviously not ideal for thermals so I will be looking into a new case. The thing is ive got a 6 SSD RAID array (i know its overkill and i will eventually after i buy the new case move it to an m.2) as my main drive. It means that I'm gonna have to note which cable goes to which SATA port in order to preserve integrity. Even with this im still concerned as to if the RAID drive will still show up and stay the same after i have plugged and unplugged everything. Can anyone tell me, is it 100% certain (save for stupid mishaps) that I will not lose the drive and preserve the same boot functionality after this procedure? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

M4RS

Solution
The case is just the case.
No different than taking it apart for cleaning and putting it back into the same case.

Yes, you do need to recreate all the connections, exactly as they were before.

Take copious notes. Have a good diagram. Label each cable, both ends. Go slowly.

USAFRet

Titan
The case is just the case.
No different than taking it apart for cleaning and putting it back into the same case.

Yes, you do need to recreate all the connections, exactly as they were before.

Take copious notes. Have a good diagram. Label each cable, both ends. Go slowly.

Reactions: M4RS
Solution

RealBeast

Titan
If it were on a controller card no problem, just color or number code each drive and cable.
With the motherboard controller my answer is probably yes, just color code or number each cable and make a drawing or list of the corresponding drive.

And since RAID is not back up you should have a system image backed up, or the data backed up -- whichever is the case.

Reactions: M4RS

TRENDING THREADS