Question Migrating Windows 10 (SSD) from Intel CPU to AMD

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Shabbat shalom friends.
So, soon I'll be changing a lot of parts in my current computer and can't find any good information on migrating a drive with the OS (Win 10 64bit) on it to a completely different CPU (From Intel to AMD).
Now, I know that I'll have to uninstall all drivers for parts that will be changed, but what about the CPU? Does it add any extra steps? Do I just uninstall it from the device manager?
Here are the parts I'll be changing:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K to Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: 16GB DDR3 to 16GB DDR4
MOBO: GA-Z97X-GAMING 5 to Asus PRIME X470-PRO

Thank you in advance.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
The problem you may experience here is a Windows activation issue. If you purchased an OEM license for Windows 10 64 bit you won't be able to transfer it to your new motherboard, if you purchased a retail license though you may be able to transfer it. You probably won't have to reinstall the operating system though going from Intel to AMD as they both have the same x86 architecture. The worst that can happen is that Windows won't boot after your change over to AMD.

Reactions: SentiKoji

USAFRet

Titan
Not "uninstall drivers"
This will likely involve a full clean wipe and reinstall of the OS and everything else.

Also, you need to link your current OS license to a Microsoft account, so that you can reactivate it later via the Activation troubleshooter.

Reactions: SentiKoji