Announcement Migration and Update 04/13

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Up works, down doesn't for me on latest Firefox or Chrome

Latest FF here as well. For me, all works: Up, Down, Left, Right. + Arrow keys on numpad as well.

Oh, if i press number 2 (either from numpad or regular key), i'm redirected to the home page: https://www.tomshardware.com/ Unsure if it's a feature of new forum code and if it was around before.

Also, forum now is sluggish to load.

Edit:
When hovering the mouse cursor over thread titles, a pop-up should appear that shows small part of the start of the topic. This pop-up takes a while to appear.

@Darkbreeze your Mixed memory topic has gone "poof". At least, the link of the topic doesn't work anymore;
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

For time being, did find this;
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-and-frustrated.3648678/page-4#post-22112990

Last edited:

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Oh God, there are too many issues right now. What's wrong with people's SIG ? It says, "Toggle signature" instead of displaying the full sig.

I had to remove the 2 images in my sig to make it right. Even if I insert a single image, it says, "Toggle signature".

I also increased the FONT size of the text, but it doesn't show here.

EDIT: I think the sig font size is now fixed. Not sure what happened earlier.
Sig issue should be fixed. No more Toggle Signature.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Unanswered topics list (https://forums.tomshardware.com/find-threads/unanswered) is showing deleted topics.
Meaning that when i click on a topic, i get the: "Oops, something went wrong, topic doesn't exist and contact administrator" message.

Screen:

uVXYbVM.png

rgd1101

Don't

one of DB

look like the link changed. from faq to threads

Last edited:
Reactions: CParsons

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But help me out here, where were they normally found?

Hmm.. that is an odd change especially since there's no redirect.

Well, if the URL is changed, the old path doesn't work.

E.g Mixed memory used to be with this url;
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Now, the working one is;
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

So, every guide ever written that was classified under "faq" are now classified under "threads". <- This is something devs should point out to everyone who has written guides for TH forums, so that they can go and change the hyperlinks within their guides, from now broken ones, to working ones.

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Well, if the URL is changed, the old path doesn't work.
Naturally. That's why I said it's odd there's no redirect. If it was a system change by the platform, redirects should have been accounted for. I'm not even sure as to why /faq/ was ever used in the URL's. TH seems to be the only site that's active on.

Ok, so definitely not going back and finding every thread I ever put a link to one of my own or somebody else's tutorial into, so guess there's going to be a LOT of threads with broken links in them. Think this is part of the reason we got bashed by Google's algorithm the last time we updated. Google tends to not like content that contains broken links and tends to penalize for it much like duplicate content. But maybe more important than that, all those threads now have useless links in them.

At least tutorial content isn't gone. I'll have to find each of them and update the links in my bookmarks.

There used to be topic tag that said "FAQ" and "Discussion". Now, the tags are: "Info", "Question", "[SOLVED]", "News", "Review".
Perhaps this topic tag was the reason?
I guarantee you that I never, not once, every tagged any of my tutorials as "FAQ" so it's something the system did automatically whether it was supposed to or not. I think it DID do it automatically, based on the thread being designated as a tutorial or guide. Regardless, it definitely broke the links and it definitely did not create any redirects. So there's going to be a lot of broken links in a lot of threads across the entire forum.

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Ok, so definitely not going back and finding every thread I ever put a link to one of my own or somebody else's tutorial into, so guess there's going to be a LOT of threads with broken links in them. Think this is part of the reason we got bashed by Google's algorithm the last time we updated. Google tends to not like content that contains broken links and tends to penalize for it much like duplicate content. But maybe more important than that, all those threads now have useless links in them.

At least tutorial content isn't gone. I'll have to find each of them and update the links in my bookmarks.
Let's not get loopy here my friend:

1) I can see your content and find it in secs and I can literally do an advanced search and replace of /faq/ to /threads/ and fix it for you.
2) That same logic can be applied to any /faq/ threads system wide. It will just take a bit more time.

I'm just trying to ascertain if there's more to it than that.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
New issue:

When i type a reply, i like to space out the wording, by creating chapters.

E.g like so, an empty line between my sentences.
Now, if i put the empty line between my sentences and happen to "Backspace" (delete) typo, the empty line is removed between my sentences. And i have to add it again. This is annoying.

Easiest to test is; type a line, like this one. Hit Enter twice,

to get spacing between a new line and while typing a new line, press backspace and see the empty space disappear. Empty line isn't removed at all times, but still enough times to be annoying. It shouldn't remove it at all, whereby Backspace only removes last typed character.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would love to know why some of us have a massive gap between the banner and where forums show up on top of every page, and also the "Ask the community" box that was removed seems to still use the space it once had
QAvRn1o.jpg

and yet people with same browsers don't have same issue.
that is how it shows for me on latest version of Firefox with no add ons running, yet if I load chrome it looks normal.

I haven't reset my cache as I know others see the same so its not just me.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and also the "Ask the community" box that was removed seems to still use the space it once had

On the top right corner, where the "Post thread" button is, next to it, at right, are 3 dots. Click on that to toggle the "ask the community" box on/off.

Btw, forums look fine to me (also on latest FF) and there's no weird spacing as Colif has it. Also, clicking the "ask the community" toggle button, extends the forum wider, in place of the removed side bar. (i'm using 1080p reso.)

CParsons

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
I would love to know why some of us have a massive gap between the banner and where forums show up on top of every page, and also the "Ask the community" box that was removed seems to still use the space it once had
QAvRn1o.jpg

and yet people with same browsers don't have same issue.
that is how it shows for me on latest version of Firefox with no add ons running, yet if I load chrome it looks normal.

I haven't reset my cache as I know others see the same so its not just me.
I've been looking into this and it's a combination of things:

- The removal of the Ask The Community add-on
- The Ad system which stops displaying ads when you login (which also adjusts the layout)

I'd place money and those who are not seeing the issue, having an ad blocker / script blocker installed. If I turn mine on, it fixes itself. If I turn it off, I see the gap. In any case, we'll get it fixed up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On the top right corner, where the "Post thread" button is, next to it, at right, are 3 dots. Click on that to toggle the "ask the community" box on/off.
what that button does is hides the side panel. Its not just hiding the one menu. The ask a community box was removed as it was causing problems.
I'd place money and those who are not seeing the issue, having an ad blocker / script blocker installed.

I can enable an add blocker, I just don't normally need it here... I will try that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.