Question Minecraft Performance Issue on New PC

Sep 6, 2019
I've looked everywhere online to try and solve this issue, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Currently running into lag spikes and micro-stuttering on an above-average, new PC build. Running on the latest version of Java, installed OptiFine, allocated 2,4,6,8 GB RAM, checked driver updates, changed Nvidia control panel settings, Reinstalled Minecraft on different drives, and I'm STILL running into problems.

The only thing I've noticed are CPU Utilization spikes in Task Manager when I get the spikes, but I'm not sure how to combat that. I've also benchmarked and viewed CPU/GPU temps, and they seemed pretty fine to me. This only happens in Minecraft as well, no other game. This leads me to believe it's either an OpenGL issue or a Java issue, but I don't know what I would do to test or fix that theory.

Video of Issues:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SHpPRPiJrY&feature=youtu.be

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB RTX 2070 Super
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard: ROG Crosshair Hero VII (Wi-Fi)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 16CS
Drives: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVME SSD (currently running Minecraft on it) and a 2TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM 3.5" HDD

Thank you :)!

Jun 10, 2019
Okay, so when micro freezes like that occur, usually has something to do with your RAM.
Your RAM sends memory to your CPU to solve it, and when it doesn’t get the instructions in time, that creates a stutter.

It could be a couple things that I have in mind.
The RAM type and speed may effect how well your specific CPU may function.
It may also just be because your RAM isn’t running at a fast enough frequency.
I also have a high end computer and play Minecraft, I get micro stutters all the time, maybe it’s just Minecraft as a program and not much you can do about it.
Seems unlikely given your specs, it’s a head scratcher for sure. Let me know what your clock speed on your RAM is?

Jun 10, 2019
The RAM speed defaulted to about 2666 out of the box, but I manually changed it in the BIOS to 3200 when I first set up my computer.
I doubt it’s the RAM, right now the only possible solution that I can think of at the time would be to set your clock speed at the original speed.
Also this happens a lot so I just want to check,
You should find out which specific slots to put your ram to make it dual channeled.
(It should USUALLY be in slot 1 and 3)

Sep 6, 2019
I doubt it’s the RAM, right now the only possible solution that I can think of at the time would be to set your clock speed at the original speed.
You should find out which specific slots to put your ram to make it dual channeled.

Yes, I made sure I took advantage of the dual channels. And yeah, I see people messing that up a LOT and it seems to solve their problems. I'll change my clock speeds back and see how it runs.

At this point, I would consider myself decently good at troubleshooting with the amount of different variables I've changed to fix this but literally nothing seems to fix it. I would be able to manage, but I plan on recording my gameplay and that definitely wouldn't be a good look.

Sep 6, 2019

Just changed the clock speeds back, and I'm still getting lag spikes. I would also doubt this is a CPU/GPU hardware issue since I run other games and benchmarks perfectly fine

TRENDING THREADS