Minestorm version differences

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

While still (since the last thread about this) trying desperately to
improve my scoring in Minestorm, I unraveled the version differences I
found in some of the versions.

Well anyway, for those Mine Storm players interested you can find about it
here http://www.xs4all.nl/~bakkerp/Minestorm/

It's pretty premature, but ah well, take a look!

FURY

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004

dgo wrote:
> While still (since the last thread about this) trying desperately to
> improve my scoring in Minestorm, I unraveled the version differences I
> found in some of the versions.
>

> Well anyway, for those Mine Storm players interested you can find about it
> here http://www.xs4all.nl/~bakkerp/Minestorm/
>
> It's pretty premature, but ah well, take a look!

Nice job! Looking forward to 3D Mine Storm coverage!

George

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Actually, pretty much any LCD shutter glasses with a 1/8 stereo plug
interface will work. They used to package a set of glasses in older
video cards that had a stereoscopic rendering option. This would be
back in the days of Descent/pre- or early pentium era so you might be
able to find them on ebay for cheap.

The Sega glasses can be pretty pricey, mainly because they are Sega
branded. The design of such goggles hasn't changed in almost 20 years
though.

The only real strategy difference that 3D minestorm has over regular is
that you can see which kinds of mines are going to appear next -- each
set of mines occupies a different 3D layer and once you finish each set
of mines the other mines will come into the foreground. You can see
which mines are upcoming in the next two layers. Other than that, it
pretty much plays like Minestorm, with the Minestorm II mine
arrangements.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"FURY" <GeoFury@aol.com> wrote in

> dgo wrote:
>> While still (since the last thread about this) trying desperately to
>> improve my scoring in Minestorm, I unraveled the version differences
>> I found in some of the versions.
>>

>> Well anyway, for those Mine Storm players interested you can find
>> about it here http://www.xs4all.nl/~bakkerp/Minestorm/
>>
>> It's pretty premature, but ah well, take a look!
>

> Nice job! Looking forward to 3D Mine Storm coverage!
>
> George

Good suggestion, Thanks!

That will be added later when I can find some good Sega 3d glasses +
controller to comfortably play 3D minestorm.

rob_ocelot@hotmail.com wrote:
> Actually, pretty much any LCD shutter glasses with a 1/8 stereo plug
> interface will work.

I got some shutter glasses and a DVD interface and the glasses work
just fine with my Master System, and therefore should work just fine
with the Vectrex. If you search for shutter glasses on ebay you should
be able to get a pair for $10 or so or two pair for under $20. I think
the place that sells them is called DVD Attic. Also, these newer
glasses are not nearly as flimsy as the Sega glasses, and work MUCH
better. I never use my Sega glasses anymore.

By the way, is that adapter still available? Anyone have one for sale?

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Kev still has some, I believe.

kevtris@comcast.net

$40 for a 3D interface + goggles

$25 for each item alone.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

What is the DVD interface like, and how expensive is it? There's a few
true 3D DVD's out there (some IMAX converted stuff, I believe)

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

The one I got is about the size of a pack of smokes and has two plugs
in it for glasses. You connect it between the DVD player and the TV
(surprisingly enough!). I got it in a package from this DVD Attic
place along with two sets of glasses and four IMAX movies, I think for
around $25 plus shipping. DVD Attic sells a lot of packages like this
(horror, etc., wireless glasses, etc.) at different price points. As
far as the 3D effect goes, it could be better and there is a little
ghosting, but that's what you get with shutter glasses blinking 30
times a second instead of the original polarized film format. It may
be that the effect is better with the more expensive interfaces and
glasses. The main problem with the IMAX titles on TV is that these are
movies that were originally shown on a screen 70 feet high, and it is
very hard to see what is going on sometimes. Here is a link to DVD
Attic ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/TheDVDAttic_3D-DVD-SETS-VIEWERS_W0QQssPageNameZVIStoreHeaderLinksQQtZkm?

Now if only someone would release Dial M for Murder in 3D...

FURY

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

rob_ocelot@hotmail.com wrote:
> The only real strategy difference that 3D minestorm has over regular is
> that you can see which kinds of mines are going to appear next -- each
> set of mines occupies a different 3D layer and once you finish each set
> of mines the other mines will come into the foreground. You can see
> which mines are upcoming in the next two layers. Other than that, it
> pretty much plays like Minestorm, with the Minestorm II mine
> arrangements.

One other difference is that the fireballs shoot out much faster from
the Fireball Mines in the 3D version.

George

dgo wrote:
> While still (since the last thread about this) trying desperately to
> improve my scoring in Minestorm, I unraveled the version differences I
> found in some of the versions.
>

> Well anyway, for those Mine Storm players interested you can find about it
> here http://www.xs4all.nl/~bakkerp/Minestorm/
>
> It's pretty premature, but ah well, take a look!

It's great! If the internet is about anything, it is about obsessively
detailing once and for all details that no one could be previously be
bothered to record ;-)
(Seriously, I think you've done a good job here)

I also like the screenshots of your high-scores. You have proof of your
minestorming prowess :)

Best regards
Roberto/.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Roberto Nerici <rn@bloggo.org> wrote in

> It's great! If the internet is about anything, it is about obsessively
> detailing once and for all details that no one could be previously be
> bothered to record ;-)

Exactly ;)

> (Seriously, I think you've done a good job here)

Thanks.

> I also like the screenshots of your high-scores. You have proof of
> your minestorming prowess :)

Well, actually, real proof would be a video of the actual gameplay. I might
have used one of those minestorm hacks or something to cheat...

> Best regards
> Roberto/.

Kind regards,

Pepijn

"dgo" <bakkerpReMoVe@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Roberto Nerici <rn@bloggo.org> wrote in
>
>> It's great! If the internet is about anything, it is about obsessively
>> detailing once and for all details that no one could be previously be
>> bothered to record ;-)
>
> Exactly ;)
>
>> (Seriously, I think you've done a good job here)
>
> Thanks.
>

>> I also like the screenshots of your high-scores. You have proof of
>> your minestorming prowess :)
>>

> Well, actually, real proof would be a video of the actual gameplay. I
> might
> have used one of those minestorm hacks or something to cheat...
>
>> Best regards
>> Roberto/.
>>

> Kind regards,
>
> Pepijn

So what was the outcome of the email that was sent to Twin Galaxies. I
would suspect that all versions of MineStorm are ignored except the ones
that shipped with the game.

Chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

> So what was the outcome of the email that was sent to Twin Galaxies. I
> would suspect that all versions of MineStorm are ignored except the ones
> that shipped with the game.
>
> Chris

The first reply I got from the referee that used to do Vectrex
showed they really don't know. They didn't register any version differences
as they thought the game ended after lvl 13 so all scores would probably
be the newer version...

He suggested I forward my question and data to one of the head refs. I
haven't had a reply yet.

TRENDING THREADS