Question Mini ITX mobo and doubts with the RAM.

Jul 7, 2023
Hi, I'm looking for an ultra cheap and simple setup (but from a decent brand, no nameless chinese generics) for just basic tasks (browsing, office, movies, etc on Windows 10). Unfortunately in my town there are not many options but I found this:

BIOSTAR A68N-2100K
* Integrated AMD E1-6010 Processor (Dual core 1.35GHz) with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (Supports HDCP)
* Supports Single Channel DDR3 & DDR3L 800/1066/1333 (1.25V)
2 x DDR3 & DDR3L DIMM Memory Slots
Max. Supports up to 16GB Memory
Each DIMM supports non-ECC 512MB/ 1/ 2/ 4/ 8 GB DDR3 & DDR3L module.
* 2 x SATA III Connectors (6Gb/s) (Supports AHCI)
* 1 x PCI-E 2.0 x16 Slot (x4)

My doubts are:
* This mobo appears to have two typical desktop DDR3 (240-pin) 1.5v memory slots, but says it supports DDR3L as well. Can a small DDR3L memory (204-pin, I think, for laptops) fit and work without problems in a 240-pin 1.5v DDR3 slot? I have never seen or tried this.
* Doing some research, it seems that DDR3L memory works at 1.35v but can reach 1.5v. So why does the mobo spec say "1.25v"? Is there also DDR3L at 1.25v? It seems that only DDR3U memory works at 1.25v but I'm not sure.
* Just to be sure, I won't have any problems with the aforementioned 1.5v DDR3 240-pin desktop memories right?
EXTRA questions: Can it support SATAIII SSD without problems? and... What about processor temperatures and durability?

I think that with a cheap SATAIII SSD, Windows 10 x64 should run quite well and responsive, but I would like your opinions. Greetings.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
You cannot fit 204-pin laptop SODIMMs into the 240-pin DIMM sockets on a motherboard, unless you can find an adaptor.

Don't worry about the difference between DDR3 and DDR3L. Just check the motherboard QVL and see if you can buy something locally.

The BIOS will check the SPD on the DIMMs and set the RAM voltage accordingly.

Do not mix DDR3 and DDR3L on the same motherboard.

1.25V is the JEDEC default for DDR3L, running at stock speed.

XMP settings in DDR3L will increase the voltage to 1.35V for overclocking.

Some DDR3L will work at 1.50V for greater compatibility.

Check the mobo spec to see if it will run at SATA3 speeds. You can connect a SATA3 drive to a SATA2 interface.

The CPU temperature will depend on the cooling in your case and the ambient temperature of your room.

Jul 7, 2023
You cannot fit 204-pin laptop SODIMMs into the 240-pin DIMM sockets on a motherboard, unless you can find an adaptor.

Don't worry about the difference between DDR3 and DDR3L. Just check the motherboard QVL and see if you can buy something locally.

The BIOS will check the SPD on the DIMMs and set the RAM voltage accordingly.

Do not mix DDR3 and DDR3L on the same motherboard.

1.25V is the JEDEC default for DDR3L, running at stock speed.

XMP settings in DDR3L will increase the voltage to 1.35V for overclocking.

Some DDR3L will work at 1.50V for greater compatibility.

Check the mobo spec to see if it will run at SATA3 speeds. You can connect a SATA3 drive to a SATA2 interface.

The CPU temperature will depend on the cooling in your case and the ambient temperature of your room.
But aren't DDR3L the small 204-pin ones? so, if this mobo only has two 240-pin DDR3 slots, and the DDR3L can't be inserted in these slots, why does it indicate that it accepts DDR3L too? Or are there 240-pin DDR3L as well?