Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I installed XP on a new build but foolishly had a multicard reader connected. On completion the HDD wss labeled as Disk "I". The DVD is Drive "D" which would be normal but the individual card readers are assigned as Drives C, E, F, G, and H causing the HDD to move down to I.

I don’t want to leave it that way as I’m sure that eventually the Boot drive being “I” will cause me trouble down the road. I have tried to change the letter assignment to “C” using the installed program for changing letters but to no avail. I am allowed to change any drive letter but the BOOT drive!

I next tried removing the card reader then re-installing XP as a “new install” figuring the hard drive would be wiped, thus hopefully removing all traces of the damned I. All wenwell except the HDD was still named “I”. Later I also reset the CMOS thinking that maybe the I was stored in BIOS.

Now I am really frustrated! I am not going to install anything on the machine until I get this issue resolved.

MY REMAINING IDEA: What if I remove the HDD, have it formatted and then re-install XP with only HDD and DVD connected?

I am sure this is a common enough situation that others have resolved so I am open to other’s solutions or even suggestions too. There has to be an easy way to accomplish this for heaven’s sakes!

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
[/quote]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
Thanks Outlander - That is the exact link that allowed me to change all but the Boot Drive. I had to change all the other drive letters first so as to clear C to use for the HDD. But changing the Boot Drive is Taboo! :cry:

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Melina;

Yes by the time I got around to clearing the CMOS the card reader had already been disconnected but on the next install the HDD still came back as "I" again.

I really have nothing on the new HDD so it will not be a loss to wipe it. If that doesn't work do you know where I can buy a stick of dynamite? :lol:

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Try using disk managment to reassign all drives 1 letter higher leaving a hole at C: and then shut down and reboot win should reassign. Drive letter assignment is all about windows and has nothing to do with the bios. All else fail you can reinstall with the card reader disconnected just be sure to format first or you only get a half ass install leaving most of the old settings behind.

Just my two cents but there is never a reason to reinstall without formating first.

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks for your suggestion but that is exactly what I did. I freed the letter 'C' but on reboot the hard disk still came back labelled as 'I'. :ouch:

On the re-install of XP I chose the option to format and re-install but the drive still came back as 'I'.

That is why I'm stymied about why this could be.

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Thank you! I have read the info related to this D/L and it appears that this is likely the solution I needed. I will get to this at a later date as I am in the midst of a reorganization of the new build.

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

I will do that!

I've already d/l the file in Windows version but am waiting for some parts.

Bill Cooksley

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

At long last I have got everything working now! I am sorry to report that the WD solution download you offered did not work. From there I tried the MS XP boot disc route but they do not yet have the sets for XP SP3 so that was a failure too. A new HDD did the job of course. I thought I'd get a small drive just for the OS but for the diff in price went for another 320 GB so I have lots of storage now anyway.

I was using a separate external for some storage so I can scrap that and use the proceeds to offset the cost of the new HDD. :D

Thanks for your assistance!

Bill