G

Anyone remember TAG Sram? Is it just me or all these motherboards coming out with no way to upgrade the cache on your system? I can tell you this - if you have more than 128MB, you need more cache! I am wondering why this aspect of performance has been overlooked???

lostinms

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uhmmm the K6-3 has on-Die cache. They are the first one's to have it if I remember right. They have 64k 1st level and 256k 2nd level full speed and then there is the 3rd level that is not on the cpu which can range from 512k to 2 meg. The K6-3 is the first cpu to incorpirate the use of tri level cache.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know that, I have one under the bench I used to use. But when asked about upgrading cache, we can olny speek of what is NOT onboard. I believe even the Pentium 1 had 16kb on die cache!

mpjesse

Splendid
OK dude, your lost. Since like the 386 or so all CPU's have had some kind of cache- it just depended on what level (L1, L2, etc). The L1 has been around for a long time and hasn't really gotten significantly bigger over the years (infact the P4 has a 8KB L1 cache). Also, the L1 cache isn't "on die" it IS the die. The L2 is the performance maker. L3 sucks because it's really slow. However, recent developments in the speed of SRAM may bring back L3 cache. Intel and AMD have both produced SRAM twice as fast as today's current SRAM. Anyways, no one probably cares.

-MP Jesse

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When I said "onboard" I meant to say "on die" not "on the Motherboard", I was simply stating the fact that L2 used to be on the motherobard and is now on the die. I didn't really want to get into a technical discussion on this one, just trying to state why there is no Tag ram without going into detail.

TRENDING THREADS