Question Missing PCB heatsinks ROG MAXIMUS X APEX

tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Hello everyone, I recently came into ownership of an ROG Maximus Apex X Z370 motherboard. The owner before the last owner clearly used it for LN2 overclocking as all of the boards heatsinks are missing and the back of the board is sticky in all the right spots. Anyway, the board is missing the heatsink for the south bridge, listed as HEATSINK_PCH, and two other heatsinks for the VRM listed as HEATSINK_MOS and HEATSINK_5G. The board works fine but without proper cooling on these parts I fear the boards life might be rather short as I tested it with only an i5-8400 and all these areas were getting especially warm (~95-110C) under a Cinebench load. I should also mention CPUIDHWmonitor listed 1 specific temperature, TMPIN4, which would hit 125C before then listing the temp as 0C from that point forward.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can possibly find these heatsinks possibly for sale. I would hate to see a great motherboard be left unused. I have also reached out to Asus support and they are pretty worthless, changing the support person every time I reply to their emails so I have to reexplain the problem over and over to them which they then continue to tell me I need the serial number which has been removed by one of the previous owners.

If not able to buy these parts is there any good way to cool them myself? I would hate to just strap a bunch of fans to it if that's the only way.

Thank you for any ideas or feedback.

View: https://imgur.com/a/N86cokI

tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
That's a good idea, I'm still in an ongoing email battle with Asus, the support isn't pristine but I might finally be getting somewhere. Only issue is I know it'll probably still be a little pricey for a parts only considering the original MSRP of the board. Thanks for the idea I'll keep my eyes open.