Missing Windows Installer

I was in the process of adding a new printer driver with software from HP
that hung. I downloaded msicuu.exe to try to clear the problem with a hung
..msi install. Now, it seems that the Windows installer is now missing.
Whenever I try to install new programs, I get a message saying I am in safe
mode. The installer service is not running and not even listed. How do I go
about recovery or re-install of the Installer? Recovery points are no good
either as each one I tried seems to be corrupted.
--
Gary W Miller

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gary Miller" wrote:

| I was in the process of adding a new printer driver with software from HP
| that hung. I downloaded msicuu.exe to try to clear the problem with a hung
| .msi install. Now, it seems that the Windows installer is now missing.
| Whenever I try to install new programs, I get a message saying I am in safe
| mode. The installer service is not running and not even listed. How do I go
| about recovery or re-install of the Installer? Recovery points are no good
| either as each one I tried seems to be corrupted.
| --
| Gary W Miller

Hi Kelly
None of the above works. Same message and the service is no were to be
found. What if I uninstall SP2 and re-install SP2? And were can I get a
copy of SP2 without ordering the cd?
Regards
--
Gary W Miller

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
>
> Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803
>
> Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
>
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
>
> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Gary Miller" wrote:
>
> | I was in the process of adding a new printer driver with software from HP
> | that hung. I downloaded msicuu.exe to try to clear the problem with a hung
> | .msi install. Now, it seems that the Windows installer is now missing.
> | Whenever I try to install new programs, I get a message saying I am in safe
> | mode. The installer service is not running and not even listed. How do I go
> | about recovery or re-install of the Installer? Recovery points are no good
> | either as each one I tried seems to be corrupted.
> | --
> | Gary W Miller

Gary,
I have run into the same issue and am wondering if it has to do with my
latest SP2 install and or my Antispyware install. Were you able to get an
additional help or fixes?

thanks

"Gary Miller" wrote:

> Hi Kelly
> None of the above works. Same message and the service is no were to be
> found. What if I uninstall SP2 and re-install SP2? And were can I get a
> copy of SP2 without ordering the cd?
> Regards
> --
> Gary W Miller
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp
> >
> > Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803
> >
> > Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
> >
> > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> > Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).
> >
> > [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Gary Miller" wrote:
> >
> > | I was in the process of adding a new printer driver with software from HP
> > | that hung. I downloaded msicuu.exe to try to clear the problem with a hung
> > | .msi install. Now, it seems that the Windows installer is now missing.
> > | Whenever I try to install new programs, I get a message saying I am in safe
> > | mode. The installer service is not running and not even listed. How do I go
> > | about recovery or re-install of the Installer? Recovery points are no good
> > | either as each one I tried seems to be corrupted.
> > | --
> > | Gary W Miller

I suppose you should read this page for help, regarding this matter...

I'm facing the same problem, and I'll try these methods:-->

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886630/

If successful, I'll post here...

-Sam (Anonymous)