[SOLVED] Mixing and matching sticks of ram

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
is it safe to use a ram stick that is the of the same memory,speed and latency as the rest but a different brand?

I know similar topics have been talked about before. But the thing is I kind of want a straight answer and more details with it.
So here goes.

I bought 2 of these https://www.gskill.com/product/165/185/1567584227/F4-3200C16D-32GIS

for a total of 64 gigs.

and one of the sticks don't work.

But I do have this laying around https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C16PB3_16.pdf

and I was wondering can i use it as a substitute for the faulty ram module?

The only difference i see is the TRAS the kingston is 32 and the g.skill is 38

so while waiting for a replacement on the faulty stick(weather i have to give the other one that came with it)

I do want to know is the kingston safe to use and in general in similar situations.

And if it's not safe why? They seem identical. shouldn't be fine and stable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Simple answer, don't mix and match sticks of ram. Look at ram upgrades as you would with wearing shoes. Mixing and matching shoes are akin to you wearing different sized and colored shoes...they only aid in making you look silly.

I know similar topics have been talked about before. But the thing is I kind of want a straight answer and more details with it.
They have and you can find them off a search of the forums.

They weren't made off the same assembly line, they weren't binned the same way and there are discrepancies with each IC on rams, meaning you're bound to come across stability issues when mixing and matching.

If one of...

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer, don't mix and match sticks of ram. Look at ram upgrades as you would with wearing shoes. Mixing and matching shoes are akin to you wearing different sized and colored shoes...they only aid in making you look silly.

They have and you can find them off a search of the forums.

They weren't made off the same assembly line, they weren't binned the same way and there are discrepancies with each IC on rams, meaning you're bound to come across stability issues when mixing and matching.

If one of your ram sticks is faulty, might want to RMA it since you should be covered with a product lifetime warranty.

Solution