[SOLVED] Mixing RAM on dual channel

krey73

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I have 4 XPG Gammix D30, 2 of them are 3000Mhz and the other 2 are 3200Mhz.
So can I run them on dual channel like, putting the 3200 in slot 1 &3 and the 3000 in slot 2 & 4?
Mobo : Aorus X570 Elite Wifi

Solution
well if you alreay have the sticks you have nothing to lose by testing (maybe an afternoon lol)

even if your system boots, make sure it's stable by running ram tests.

best tool : Ramtest,
second best tool : google's GSAT,
3rd best tool : prime 95 - blend test

make sure you have good cooling and test for at least 1 hour each. (for a stability test of P95 blend i usually do it for like 4hrs or overnight)
oh and a good power supply or you may kill it.

memtest86+ and passmark's memtest can be used too, but they are more designed to find defects on ram, not really instability.

RealBeast

Titan
I have 4 XPG Gammix D30, 2 of them are 3000Mhz and the other 2 are 3200Mhz.
So can I run them on dual channel like, putting the 3200 in slot 1 &3 and the 3000 in slot 2 & 4?
Mobo : Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
You can try and set the speed to 3000MHz, and set the timings to the slower of the sets. You may need to bump the Vdimm up a bit.

While it won't hurt anything, it well may not work -- particularly if the sets are not on the motherboard QVL, Ryzen can be little picky about memory.

Reactions: DMAN999

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
well for 4 sticks, 3200 mhz is harder to get
my ryzen-optimizen 64GB Gskill Flare kit never went to 3000Mhz, i had to split it in two computers

you try do do this with 2 different kits with different speeds.
you will need to be lucky to reach 3000-3200mhz

you didn't told us what your CPU is
on ryzen 1000 : nope
ryzen 2000 : might
ryzen 3000 : may

krey73

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
well for 4 sticks, 3200 mhz is harder to get
my ryzen-optimizen 64GB Gskill Flare kit never went to 3000Mhz, i had to split it in two computers

you try do do this with 2 different kits with different speeds.
you will need to be lucky to reach 3000-3200mhz

you didn't told us what your CPU is
on ryzen 1000 : nope
ryzen 2000 : might
ryzen 3000 : may

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Mine is 3700x, so I'm in the may category

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
well if you alreay have the sticks you have nothing to lose by testing (maybe an afternoon lol)

make sure you have good cooling and test for at least 1 hour each. (for a stability test of P95 blend i usually do it for like 4hrs or overnight)

memtest86+ and passmark's memtest can be used too, but they are more designed to find defects on ram, not really instability.

Solution

krey73

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

I will try to run the tests and post back the results later once I come back from work. I have the Aorus P850w psu, and it's gold rated so it should be able to handle the test.
The full details of my spec in case you have additional advice:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus RTX 3080 10G TUF Gaming OC
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Those RAM in question
Silicone Power A80 M.2 SSD 512GB
Silicone Power A55 SSD 512GB
Western Digital Purple 2TB
Aorus P850W 80+ Gold

krey73

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
If you get another kit get one that is rated at 3600mhz.
Why is that so?
I'm really asking cause I'm really confused when it comes to RAM and their speed and timing and voltage bla bla bla.. 😅
I usually just stick 2 of them together and get the mobo to work it's magic

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Why is that so?
I'm really asking cause I'm really confused when it comes to RAM and their speed and timing and voltage bla bla bla.. 😅
I usually just stick 2 of them together and get the mobo to work it's magic
Sure buddy no problemo...

Just FYI if your Frankenstain kit works then great! More power to you.

Ryzen is picky with RAM 1st and 2nd gen the most, but you've got Zen+ (I know its called Zen+ but its freeken 3rd gen) so you have compatibility with a wider range of memory. Even so Ryzen still prefers faster memory. I know this because I have gamed with my ram at stock speeds. After enabling XMP I had increases of 10-15 FPS depending on the game ( I have the benchmarks if you want to see them), and I am GPU bound not CPU bound. Overall system responsiveness is better at 3600 vs 3200.

I get what you mean about timings and voltages, but its something you will have to work with with your current kit. However, if you buy a new set the only number you need to worry about is the speed rating. If you can get a kit with a high speed rating and tight timings then great, but the timings are not that important with Ryzen.

So I am just saying if you do buy a new set, go with one rated higher. Might as well since you have the board and cpu for it.

krey73

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

Ran the test on the frankenstein set, 3200Mhz paired with 3000Mhz, everything was stable where the auto set the speed to 2666Mhz. No crashes and everything went a-okay.

Replaced the 3000Mhz with a new set of 3200Mhz, now I have 3200Mhz occupying all the lanes. Same type of RAM for all of them and speed auto set by the board at 3200Mhz. Again, no crashes and those tests turned out okay.

In other words, my ryzen is not that picky lol. But thank you so much for all the answers and guide by all of you. Really appreciate the help.

Reactions: Jo_Hardy