Sep 6, 2024
Hello everyone!
I got 2 new sticks from a coworker and though to install it into my system.
The sticks I got installed are currently Kingston FURY Beast 2x8GB 3600MHz and got from a coworker HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz kit. I was wondering if a fry my system because of the diffrent speed?

Pretty much if the memory will fit on the motherboard without you forcing it into a slot it has a chance to work.

You can only try it and see. Worst case the machine will not boot at all.

What is more likely is you can get it to work at much lower speed than is rated. Generally for most people more memory even it is running at a slower speed is still better than running less memory at higher clock rates.

Note be very patient when you are testing. The motherboard will try different settings and it can take a number of minutes before it fails or boots. Try to turn off any of the memory overclock like XMP in the bios before you add the new memory. If you can get it to run at the base clock speeds then try to turn on overclock and see what happens. You might in the long run have to set the voltages and clock setting yourself.

Reactions: igugf
Sep 6, 2024
Pretty much if the memory will fit on the motherboard without you forcing it into a slot it has a chance to work.

You can only try it and see. Worst case the machine will not boot at all.

What is more likely is you can get it to work at much lower speed than is rated. Generally for most people more memory even it is running at a slower speed is still better than running less memory at higher clock rates.

Note be very patient when you are testing. The motherboard will try different settings and it can take a number of minutes before it fails or boots. Try to turn off any of the memory overclock like XMP in the bios before you add the new memory. If you can get it to run at the base clock speeds then try to turn on overclock and see what happens. You might in the long run have to set the voltages and clock setting yourself.
Ah thanks I will try that. Is it like automaticly trying to find a XMP profile that works?

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
It will not damage your system. You may notice something quirky (like reduced speed or timings), or may not, but the advantage of more RAM may outweigh all.

Reactions: igugf
Different speed ram will operate at the lower speed.
All ram must be managed in the bios with the same specs of speed, voltage and timings.
This may be more difficult with 4 slots in use.
When you think it is working,

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Yes, as above!^

At best you will have 4 dimms running at 3200mhz. But this is not certain.

One of three things will happen.

1. They will work toegther.
2. They may work but with major instability and dropped clock speeds.
3. They will not work at all.

Mixing and matching ram is not a good idea. Nor is it a good idea to populate all 4 slots as this can instability and again reduced speeds.

Ideally you need to have a 2 x 16gb kit if you want the best performance with the least hassle.