Tingbinger

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hi all,

Would this PSU be acceptable for powering a HD 6870?

i5-2500k processor, 1HDD, single optical drive...pretty standard build.

Thanks

Solution
It's a really good PSU, one of the better brands, so I don't doubt it could power the system. As Silvune said, though, it's down to the connectors. Many mid-range video cards come with 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adapters, since many low to mid range PSUs don't have the pair of 6 pin connectors they need.

If you haven't bought it yet, the MK III 500W is only $10 more, and comes with all the connectors you need. I'd say the $10 is worth it to get the extra connectors and more headroom for future upgrades.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
It's a really good PSU, one of the better brands, so I don't doubt it could power the system. As Silvune said, though, it's down to the connectors. Many mid-range video cards come with 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adapters, since many low to mid range PSUs don't have the pair of 6 pin connectors they need.

If you haven't bought it yet, the MK III 500W is only $10 more, and comes with all the connectors you need. I'd say the $10 is worth it to get the extra connectors and more headroom for future upgrades.

Solution