Question Mobile/ Rugged/ Road Case?

theprofman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Hey all, I'm moving/ hitting the road for a while and would love to find a new case to put my gaming PC in that is a little easier to carry/ move, and hopefully a little more rugged. (No, I'm not expecting it to be dropped or anything, but just loaded in and out of my RV/ van frequently.) I know that building a new purpose built rig is probably the BEST idea, but I do not have the money currently, nor do I know when I'll be stationary again. I'm seeing if I should just leave it all as is and deal with it, or if there's a better case option to transfer my current rig to. Even something with handles/ something that lays flat (probably better for moving around) would be helpful. (If you have any ideas for cheap little upgrades to my current rig, I'll take those too!)

Here's my setup, and yes, I am aware this is a big boy.

Corsair 5000D
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Asus TUF RTX 4070 Super
4X G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200 16G
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Corsair H150 360 cooler
So many case fans (I think there are 11 in there)

These are all parts that have been acquired over the years, just added the new GPU earlier this year. Obviously fitting the mobo and the GPU in anything small (er) will be annoying, if not impossible. The CPU cooler I would be fine selling and getting something else. (I will never buy anymore Corsair cooling <Mod Edit> stuff... iCue is a nightmare and I am definitely just gonna go with stuff that can be controlled with third party apps in the future.)

Anyway, any advice appreciated, even if you just think I should stick with my current case and tough it out!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5000D is a 66L chassis.

You can shrink the volume quite a bit with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5GV42GH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

But then it isn't a tower anymore, so may take up more space in use. And it is still pretty big.

Motherboard and GPU are really limiting here.

Here is a cheap case that is still a lot smaller, and you might have a better time handling. Mesh all around with no side panel to break.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM9V1WF5?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Still room for a 240mm AIO, which should be better than a big air cooler if this thing is going to traveling a lot. You might also want to invest in a GPU bracing system, or 3D print something.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-GPU-Graphics-RTX3090-309EZ-Black/dp/B09466LNV3

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($375.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Aqua Elite V3 66.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($45.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($658.00 @ Amazon)
Case: GameMax MeshBox ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1369.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-16 17:07 EDT-0400

Reactions: theprofman

theprofman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
5000D is a 66L chassis.

You can shrink the volume quite a bit with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5GV42GH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

But then it isn't a tower anymore, so may take up more space in use. And it is still pretty big.

Motherboard and GPU are really limiting here.

Here is a cheap case that is still a lot smaller, and you might have a better time handling. Mesh all around with no side panel to break.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM9V1WF5?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Still room for a 240mm AIO, which should be better than a big air cooler if this thing is going to traveling a lot. You might also want to invest in a GPU bracing system, or 3D print something.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-GPU-Graphics-RTX3090-309EZ-Black/dp/B09466LNV3

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($375.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Aqua Elite V3 66.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($45.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($658.00 @ Amazon)
Case: GameMax MeshBox ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1369.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-16 17:07 EDT-0400
Didn't even think to dump that in PCPartPicker, thanks!

And yeah, my options are limited. More than likely I'll just keep it as is, but wanted to check with the hive mind.

Lutfij

Titan
I would look into an itx build/chassis and simply downsize the motherboard, PSU and cooler and you should be in your zone, with a minimal footprint since you will travelling and space is a premium, so purpose built is the way to go, IMHO.

HTPC style cases would be units that lay on the side but they tend run hotter when compared to a conventional chassis layout in an upright position.

Thermaltake's Core G3 is one possible candidate but you will need to change the PSU to an SFX unit, and stick to either a low profile cooler or a 240mm AIO but the GPU would be pushed up against the side panel and thus heat up the GPU. Phanteks P300 is another possible candidate.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is an assumption to consider that your camping rig will have the battery power available to run a full sized gaming rig a lot/long. It is also of consideration that the system with the components above will do a lot to heat up the interior of a camper van.

IMO it would be worthwhile to check into mobile solutions that meet your scope of performance (if possible) alongside that laptops are designed for and also have their own battery....

just a couple of pennies.