[SOLVED] Mobo and CPU Combo

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
Hi, I am considering the Ryzen7 3700x or the R5 3600x and looking for a good mobo no more than 200GBP. It does not need wifi. Is the performance increase for the R7 worth the price difference? I am not sure, but if I save some money on the cpu I will get the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 because I heard the stock cooler is loud.
I will use this PC for gaming mostly. Paired with 980ti and 32GB 3200mhz ram which I already own. Thanks

Solution
Hi, I am considering the Ryzen7 3700x or the R5 3600x and looking for a good mobo no more than 200GBP. It does not need wifi. Is the performance increase for the R7 worth the price difference? I am not sure, but if I save some money on the cpu I will get the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 because I heard the stock cooler is loud.
I will use this PC for gaming mostly. Paired with 980ti and 32GB 3200mhz ram which I already own. Thanks
What will you use your system for?

In general, if you just game with it then the 3600X will be adequate; in fact saving some with a 3600 is not a bad choice either. And that would hold true even if you should you upgrade as far as a 2080ti to game with smooth frame rates at 4K.

If you game AND stream at...

In general, if you just game with it then the 3600X will be adequate; in fact saving some with a 3600 is not a bad choice either. And that would hold true even if you should you upgrade as far as a 2080ti to game with smooth frame rates at 4K.

If you game AND stream at high resolution then an 8 core (3700X) might be better.

If you also do content creation or other productivity that's highly CPU intensive (rendering, video editing and encoding) then the 3700X will be preferred.

Lastly: if you really don't mind dumping the extra money on the 3700X, the cores are nice to just have. And it may prove useful in the future as the OS, office apps in general, and as well games become more and more 'thread aware'. In that case, they will expect to have one available when it wants it. So yeah, it's probably the better way to future-proof.

Last edited:
Solution

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017

In general, if you just game with it then the 3600X will be adequate; in fact saving some with a 3600 is not a bad choice either.

If you game AND stream at high resolution then an 8 core (3700X) might be better.

If you also do content creation or other productivity that's highly CPU intensive (rendering, video editing and encoding) then the 3700X will be preferred.
I play games and do a lot of programming(nothing to graphical however). I just want the cpu to perform well for the next few years especially with upcoming games like cyberpunk.

Yeah I work in machine learning so most stuff is GPU heavy. Any ideas on the motherboard?
An excellent general purpose motherboard for even 3950X processors, and usually very reasonably priced, is an MSI B450 Tomahawk.

If your needs start running into the exotic, for storage needs (multiple drives, RAID array) or multiple GPU's for instance, then you might should consider an X570 board for the PCIe lanes they offer. That's the only way you'll get two PCie gen 3 or 4, 16 lane sockets for two GPU's at full speed capability if it's needed. I'm not really knowledgeable on them, just avoid MSI's unless you get extreme top-end. Most of Gigabyte's and Asus' are pretty good.