Question Mobo LED lights on, Fans spin but doesn't boot

rairuben27

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
I built this PC few days ago, it's not even a week old. I could use this PC normally the past few days but today when i was watching youtube, it suddenly shut down. I tried to turn it back on but it won't. I had to turn off the psu then turn it back on then the PC boots up for like half a second. The LED lights on mobo turned on, the mobo fan, case fan and the gpu fan spin. I tried reseating, used only 1 ram at a time, boot without a gpu but it still doesn't boot up.

Parts:
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk max
Hyper X Fury 16GB 2666
MSI 1660Ti Gaming X
Crucial MX500
Corsair CX550M

PC_Philipp

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
Hi rairuben27,

First thing I'd try is to reset the Bios (I've done this once - you can google how to do it for your specific mainboard - I had to shortcut 2 pins, did it with a screwdriver)

Since anything else runs OK like the fans and LEDs etc. I'd try to measure if you get any power out of the CPU Power Pins of your PSU.

Side Note: Because you stated that you have tried it without a GPU - since you've got a Ryzen 5 2600 you need a GPU or you won't get any Video Output - because AMD CPUs without a G at the end like the 2400G e.g. doesnt have IntegratedGraphics.

Hope I could help fixing the issue in anyway.
Have a nice day!

rairuben27

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Hi rairuben27,

First thing I'd try is to reset the Bios (I've done this once - you can google how to do it for your specific mainboard - I had to shortcut 2 pins, did it with a screwdriver)

Since anything else runs OK like the fans and LEDs etc. I'd try to measure if you get any power out of the CPU Power Pins of your PSU.

Side Note: Because you stated that you have tried it without a GPU - since you've got a Ryzen 5 2600 you need a GPU or you won't get any Video Output - because AMD CPUs without a G at the end like the 2400G e.g. doesnt have IntegratedGraphics.

Hope I could help fixing the issue in anyway.
Have a nice day!
I will try to reset my bios. But how can I measure the power of the CPU power pins. I don't have any tools to help me.

Thx for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

PC_Philipp

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
I don't see any other way than to measure it with a Voltmeter (every cheap multimeter will do the trick)
If you don't have one maybe you can borrow one from a friend?
Then you only have to measure the 4 Pin Power connector that is plugged into the Mainboard near the CPU there should be around 12V between the left Side (gnd) and the right Side (+12V)

rairuben27

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
I will try to reset my bios. But how can I measure the power of the CPU power pins. I don't have any tools to help me.

Thx for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!
I jst tried to reset the BIOS and the pc is still not working. I found out that there is a row of LED that helps me indicate which component needs to be debugged. When I turn the PC on, CPU,RAM,GPU and the booting device's LED lights are all on. That means everything need to be debugged......But I could use this pc normally few days ago.....

PC_Philipp

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
Hmm i don't think you have a spare Motherboard we're you can try out the components or? That would be my next step.

PC_Philipp

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
Well then i would suggest to bring it to a local PC Shop but that probably costs as much as a new Motherboard -.- sorry that i couldnt help...

rairuben27

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Well then i would suggest to bring it to a local PC Shop but that probably costs as much as a new Motherboard -.- sorry that i couldnt help...
I will ask my friend if he can borrow me his mobo. This won't cause any damage to his mobo or any other parts right?

You helped me a lot already, I really do appreciate your effort! Thx a lot

PC_Philipp

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
I will ask my friend if he can borrow me his mobo. This won't cause any damage to
I will ask my friend if he can borrow me his mobo. This won't cause any damage to his mobo or any other parts right?

You helped me a lot already, I really do appreciate your effort! Thx a lot
If you can borrow his mobo you basically won. Because then you can check what Part is faulty don't forget the PSU - try his PSU if possible on your MOBO first and then ID start to replace Part for Part - but be Sure to check the compatibilities of the mobo so that it supports ryzen gen2 and RAM Speed etc.

It is possible that it could harm His mobo but it is really unlikly

rairuben27

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
If you can borrow his mobo you basically won. Because then you can check what Part is faulty don't forget the PSU - try his PSU if possible on your MOBO first and then ID start to replace Part for Part - but be Sure to check the compatibilities of the mobo so that it supports ryzen gen2 and RAM Speed etc.

It is possible that it could harm His mobo but it is really unlikly
Got it! I will ask him. If it doesn't work then I will take my PC to a local store. Hopefully I can resolve the issue. Thx a lot!