Mod Mic 4 poor quality audio.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
Hi,

I just got a new Mod Mic 4, and I was rather disappointed at the audio quality.

I've looked online and apparently the only solution seems to be purchasing a USB sound card, I've tried reinstalling my audio drivers.

Is there anything else I can try? The USB sound cards are rather expensive for what you get.

Thank you.

Solution
we have a h97pro in the other pc. while its adequate i wouldnt say its really special. do consider that even in $300+ motherboards the soundcards end up being only as good as something like a xonar dg.

check the front vs rear port. it could be a poor connection, bad shielding or similar.
check the mic on another pc. it could be something about your own system.
check the output voltage on your jack. i believe i've heard the modmic works between 1-10v from what i'v heard

being 'disappointed' in the audio quality also tells us nothing. its the same as driving a car and saying 'i dont like it'. what audio issues exactly were you experiencing that caused your dislike?

if you are unhappy because of an audio issue originating from your pc...
i've heard modmic recordings and thought they sounded rather decent to me. not as good as desktop microphones for sure but for an on the headset microphone that is reasonably priced it is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREPS1SFFAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfl3j98Hm4

chances are that the quality is reduced due to other hardware you are running (perhaps bad onboard audio). i would first investigate there.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've got a H97-PRO, with a rather decent built in sound card.

I think the problem lies with the volts out of the microphone jack. Their website says that the mic need 5V in order to operate. Really tempted just to send it back, really frustrating.

Do you think there's anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

we have a h97pro in the other pc. while its adequate i wouldnt say its really special. do consider that even in $300+ motherboards the soundcards end up being only as good as something like a xonar dg.

check the front vs rear port. it could be a poor connection, bad shielding or similar.
check the mic on another pc. it could be something about your own system.
check the output voltage on your jack. i believe i've heard the modmic works between 1-10v from what i'v heard

being 'disappointed' in the audio quality also tells us nothing. its the same as driving a car and saying 'i dont like it'. what audio issues exactly were you experiencing that caused your dislike?

if you are unhappy because of an audio issue originating from your pc, likely any 3.5mm mic will be affected. a usb microphone might fix this without buying anything else but there arent any good usb add-to-headphone mics as far as i am aware.

if you are unhappy with the audio quality of the modmic despite trying it on different pcs and your quality is comparable to the videos i linked then perhaps you should have bought a higher end desktop microphone. while the modmic is decent, its certainly not high end.

Solution