News Modder Boosts Steam Deck to a Bountiful 32GB RAM

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
More RAM is surely welcome and probably will have an impact on gaming performance, however it is worth recognizing that the Linux-based SteamOS will or at least should consume far less memory than a competing Windows device.

Windows is simply friggin heavy when an OS upgrade is tantamount to a RAM size upgrade.

Last edited:

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
More RAM is surely welcome and probably will have an impact on gaming performance, however it is worth recognizing that the Linux-based SteamOS will or at least should consume far less memory than a competing Windows device.

Windows is simply friggin heavy when an OS upgrade is tantamount to a RAM size upgrade.

You have no idea how memory management works in both OS'es. Linux on default will cache as much as possible just as Windows. What's the point of having 32GB of RAM into your computer if your not going to use it? Exactly. So you use it and release it when you actually need it.

Linux is very good in caching as much as possible - once you need the memory for for examples ongoing programs or games it will automatic be released. I have 15 servers based on Linux, in 99.9% of the time all the ram is consumed, as it should. It's all caching resources which makes the box obviously faster.

As for gaming performance, unless the modder managed to crank up the frequency's, there's no point in doing this for performance. I doubt it - these where likely replaced with double the capacity.

Mr.Vegas

Honorable
Mar 13, 2019
Lack of 32gb option and "Smart Microwave" type of SOC is the main reason why i sold my SD after playing around for a week.
2nd reason is the tiny 7inch screen.
3rd, lack of 2280 NVMe, but more is the 2230 DRAMLess NVMe that is fitting for a toy.
4th, lack of USB ports
5th, lack of Thunderbolt/USB4 or Oculink ports

But there are other handhelds that have all these options and 8, even 8.4inch screens.
If rog ally had 32gb of ram, i could "swallow" everything else, even the fact it has single USB port and its just old 10gbps and not even 20gbps one.

TRENDING THREADS