Modem and Router Setup

leo504

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hi, I am a noob to this and looking for help. I'm looking for the best setup and configuration for my setup.

I have a Netgear DGN2000 modem/router and a new Asus RT-N66U router. I'm using ADSL connection for internet and would like to connect the following:

PC, Laptop x2 wireless, Samsung Smart TV cable, Phillips 3D BluRay Player wireless, xbos360 wireless, iphone4, Blackberry x2 and Nokia N8 are all wireless.

Please note that I use my internet mainly for utorrent downloads and some internet surfing. All the wireless setups should be easy enough but the setup/configuration of my seperate modem/router and router is the problem. I currently just have the neatgear connected.

I live in Cape town, South Africa and run a Windows 7 64bit PC if it helps.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

leon

Many (perhaps most) dsl modem+router devices support "bridge mode". This essentially demotes the device to a simple modem. You then patch it to your router's WAN, which then receives the public IP. So ideally, that's how you'd like to set this up. At that point, either the modem or router has to be configured to complete the PPPoE signon (not sure which since I don't use DSL).

If you can't configure the DGN2000 in "bridge mode", then you have no choice but to chain the RT-N66U behind it, LAN to WAN respectively. But now your RT-N66U needs to specify a different network (so let's assume the DGB2000 is using 192.168.1.x, perhaps make the RT-N66U 192.168.2.x). You're also behind two firewalls and double NAT'd, which complicates remote access a bit. That’s why it would be preferable if the DGN2000 supported "bridge mode" (thus eliminating those annoyances).

leo504

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
tried netgear in bridge. Lan to wan of asus. Internet light on router flashing but cannot open any webpage. Pc says no internet access and unidentified network.