Mar 1, 2021
So first, TIA for any help you can send my way. Ive had EXTREMELY bad modem connectivity issues for a while now. I have called my ISP (mediacon) multiple times to have them send a tech out to figure this out. They always say oh everything looks fine, Im not sure whats going on, etc.. Well my internet is nearly unusable. I had gotten disconnected 187+ times in 24 hrs. This has been like this for almost a YEAR now.

I have replaced my modem, I have replaced my router, I have replaced cables, I have NO splitters on my cable line in. It's a direct home run to my SB8200 modem. It goes line from the Utility Pole, to a point of entry bonding block on the outside of my house, then a cable from the bonding block into my house directly to my modem. I have tried to eliminate all possible failure points in my house. I am still getting insane connection issue.

I am going to call back my ISP again, and have them send another tech out but this time I want to be armed with as much data as possible to help them try and figure this out. It is driving me crazy. Thankfully in 2ish months I will be getting a fiber line and this will be a non issue.

I have screenshots of my Downstream/Upstream locks and their signals.they are all in the 4-5dB range. I cant attach any screenshots here though. I also have a screenshot of my modems event log. I have numerous errors in the modems event log id like to try and figure out.

Some errors I notice in the event log of modem- click for screenshot
-started-unicast-maintenance-ranging-no-response-received
-Dynamic Range Window Violation-Received response to broadcast maintenance request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - t4 time-out
-No ranging response received - T3 time-out

If anyone has any information on how to get this straightened out that would be incredible. You would be a legend to my family and me forever.

Last edited:
Solution
I was suffering from something similar and every time the ISP happen to perform a line health check, everything was fine until one day a tech came home and waited a whole hour. When he was about to leave it happened. He traced the problem to a box two blocks away. Squirells have nested and partially chewed some cables.

Since you do no have splitters, look for loose or bad cables. I would replace the cables inside the home.
The ISP should inspect and fix cables outside, since they get easily damaged by rain,fire, animals, construction, and even techniciants, etc)

Every time I have see a T3 messages with "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.1"
is when the...

kanewolf

Titan
So first, TIA for any help you can send my way. Ive had EXTREMELY bad modem connectivity issues for a while now. I have called my ISP (mediacon) multiple times to have them send a tech out to figure this out. They always say oh everything looks fine, Im not sure whats going on, etc.. Well my internet is nearly unusable. I had gotten disconnected 187+ times in 24 hrs. This has been like this for almost a YEAR now.

I have replaced my modem, I have replaced my router, I have replaced cables, I have NO splitters on my cable line in. It's a direct home run to my SB8200 modem. It goes line from the Utility Pole, to a point of entry bonding block on the outside of my house, then a cable from to my modem. I have tried to eliminate all possible failure points in my house. I am still getting insane connection issue.

I am going to call back my ISP again, and have them send another tech out but this time I want to be armed with as much data as possible to help them try and figure this out. It is driving me crazy. Thankfully in 2ish months I will be getting a fiber line and this will be a non issue.

I have screenshots of my Downstream/Upstream locks and their signals.they are all in the 4-5dB range. I cant attach any screenshots here though. I also have a screenshot of my modems event log. I have numerous errors in the modems event log id like to try and figure out.

Some errors I notice in the event log of modem- click for screenshot
-started-unicast-maintenance-ranging-no-response-received
-Dynamic Range Window Violation-Received response to broadcast maintenance request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - t4 time-out
-No ranging response received - T3 time-out

If anyone has any information on how to get this straightened out that would be incredible. You would be a legend to my family and me forever.
Have you run new coax across your floor from the modem to the outside of the house to ensure that your problems are not your house coax ?

Reactions: HigherPrimate
Mar 1, 2021
Have you run new coax across your floor from the modem to the outside of the house to ensure that your problems are not your house coax ?

In a way, I moved my cable modem from my living room where it has sat for 4+ years and I connected it DIRECTLY to where it comes into my house. The only thing I can try is to run a new cable from the Point of Entry Bonding Block that my ISP connects to, into my house. Which I will try tonight. Thats the only cable that hasn.t been replaced yet. I could just run it through a window to test it and if it works then drill a hole in my house.

I was suffering from something similar and every time the ISP happen to perform a line health check, everything was fine until one day a tech came home and waited a whole hour. When he was about to leave it happened. He traced the problem to a box two blocks away. Squirells have nested and partially chewed some cables.

Since you do no have splitters, look for loose or bad cables. I would replace the cables inside the home.
The ISP should inspect and fix cables outside, since they get easily damaged by rain,fire, animals, construction, and even techniciants, etc)

Every time I have see a T3 messages with "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.1"
is when the cable modem has sent several requests messages to the ISP terminal without receiving a response.
A couple of T3 once in a while is normal, but a few consecutively ones will result in low speeds or disconnections.
When there are several of them, the cable modem resets and restarts the registration process (handshake).
That could be caused by issues with wiring (bad cables), bad or dirty signal from your ISP, noise on the line, signal interference, etc.
That results on slow speeds, since the timeouts slow down the TCP/IP handshakes necessary to maintain a proper internet connection.
If the noise on the line is higher than your modem's signal, then you might need to get a powered amplifier to boost your upstream power.
The ISP should investigate, locates and repair the source of noise, since the noise could be originating on any neighboring nodes.

A T4 time-out indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service. If the cable modem does not receive a request within 30 seconds it resets.
I have got those if there is a service outage or if maintenance work is been done.

Solution
Mar 1, 2021

is when the cable modem has sent several requests messages to the ISP terminal without receiving a response.
A couple of T3 once in a while is normal, but a few consecutively ones will result in low speeds or disconnections.
When there are several of them, the cable modem resets and restarts the registration process (handshake).
That could be caused by issues with wiring (bad cables), bad or dirty signal from your ISP, noise on the line, signal interference, etc.
That results on slow speeds, since the timeouts slow down the TCP/IP handshakes necessary to maintain a proper internet connection.
If the noise on the line is higher than your modem's signal, then you might need to get a powered amplifier to boost your upstream power.
The ISP should investigate, locates and repair the source of noise, since the noise could be originating on any neighboring nodes.

A T4 time-out indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service. If the cable modem does not receive a request within 30 seconds it resets.
I have got those if there is a service outage or if maintenance work is been done.
Thank you for your reply, the error descriptions you gave are very helpful. Im nearly 1000% sure it is something outside my home causing the issue. Im going to give them another call this week to come inspect it. Im at my witts end. I need to get it fixed incase i have to work from home again soon...

Mar 22, 2021
Thank you for your reply, the error descriptions you gave are very helpful. Im nearly 1000% sure it is something outside my home causing the issue. Im going to give them another call this week to come inspect it. Im at my witts end. I need to get it fixed incase i have to work from home again soon...
So.... How did it go?