[SOLVED] Modern Version of the HD 5450?

joetheman001

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
I just realized that the Radeon HD 5450 is still being produced new even though its significantly worse in benchmarks than mobile vega graphics on some of the cheapest AMD laptops. Why doesnt AMD release cards like the 5450 using this new mobile architecture at the same price point? Seems like an interesting product to me

Solution
AMD was in development of a dedicated lower end dgpu using vega but it never came out.

Not sure why AMD doesn't make something like a GT710 competitor, honestly.
probably because of APU? and the last time AMD make low end low power GPU is with RX 500 series. RX550 that compete directly more with nvidia GT1030. going one step above is RX560 that competes with nvidia GTX1050 or GTX1050Ti. with RX 5000 series AMD did not make any sub 75w GPU. maybe they will make one with RX6000 since RDNA 2 is quite power efficient. but probably will not coming out soon. AMD have the habit to extending the life of their mid range and low end offering for several years before replacing them. and a few months ago AMD just releasing RX5300. it was...

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing a link to the laptop's you've seen that have the GPU in question? Logically they shouldn't exist unless they're in the hands of someone who stockpiled them or is hoarding them. Why? You may ask, simple, because that series of GPU's have moved along to make way for small sized die's, better lithography and better power draw(they are more efficient) and phasing out of driver support.

And yes, the newer mobile platform Ryzen's are capable of gaming at 1080p as well, with some minor tweaking in in-game settings.

Reactions: joetheman001

joetheman001

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Mind sharing a link to the laptop's you've seen that have the GPU in question? Logically they shouldn't exist unless they're in the hands of someone who stockpiled them or is hoarding them. Why? You may ask, simple, because that series of GPU's have moved along to make way for small sized die's, better lithography and better power draw(they are more efficient) and phasing out of driver support.

And yes, the newer mobile platform Ryzen's are capable of gaming at 1080p as well, with some minor tweaking in in-game settings.

Yes I was referring to the Vega 8 graphics chips the are embedded in the Ryzen series CPUS.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...VF4-GCh21HQbFEAQYASABEgKKC_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one here has Vega 8 for 400 dollars with a modest 8 gigs of ram. Definitely enough to play some games made in the last few years at lower resolutions and lower fidelity. Which is why i thought it would be cool to have a card for desktops that could do the same thing but with a larger cooler allowing for higher clock speeds with its own dedicated VRAM.

joetheman001

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
AMD discontinued driver support for anything older then the HD7000 series about two years ago, I seriously doubt HD5000-series stuff is still in production. Makes even less sense when you consider that Intel and AMD both make mobile CPUs with faster IGPs than that.

Huh, thats weird. There are HD5450s all over amazon for 40-60 dollars brand new in the box. I see them at MicroCenter all the time too.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Mult...s=hd+5450&qid=1607046155&s=electronics&sr=1-1

https://www.microcenter.com/product...passive-cooled-1gb-ddr3-pcie-21-graphics-card

AMD was in development of a dedicated lower end dgpu using vega but it never came out.

Not sure why AMD doesn't make something like a GT710 competitor, honestly.
probably because of APU? and the last time AMD make low end low power GPU is with RX 500 series. RX550 that compete directly more with nvidia GT1030. going one step above is RX560 that competes with nvidia GTX1050 or GTX1050Ti. with RX 5000 series AMD did not make any sub 75w GPU. maybe they will make one with RX6000 since RDNA 2 is quite power efficient. but probably will not coming out soon. AMD have the habit to extending the life of their mid range and low end offering for several years before replacing them. and a few months ago AMD just releasing RX5300. it was a card that should release at the same time as RX5500 in late 2019.

Solution
Huh, thats weird. There are HD5450s all over amazon for 40-60 dollars brand new in the box. I see them at MicroCenter all the time too.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Mult...s=hd+5450&qid=1607046155&s=electronics&sr=1-1

https://www.microcenter.com/product...passive-cooled-1gb-ddr3-pcie-21-graphics-card

dare to bet that is older stock that got shift around for years unsold. in the past both AMD and nvidia actually make a lot of this card. that's why you still seeing them on store shelves brand new. i still remember at one point this unsold stock also becoming an issue towards AIB themselves. it might be very slow but for those with very old machine they still want to use but the graphic part has been kaput to drive monitor they can just get one of this card. both AMD and nvidia no longer make this tier of card with their new generation line up. with iGPU have improved quite significantly for the past year there is no reason to make one of these cards anymore. although the highest part for sub 75w GPU might continue to exist for quite sometime.