[SOLVED] Modern Warfare 2019 Not running on pc

Feb 28, 2020
Hello, I recently bought modern warfare for my PC. I had seen many YouTubers play it and my friends over on PlayStation and Xbox got it so I thought I should give it a try. I looked at the minimum specs and my PC met greater than the recommended specs so I thought I should be able to run it easily. I have a RTX 2060S, i79700k, 24g of ram, MSI B360 mb, and sufficient water cooling. The only issue is that I have a hard drive. This hard drive is not that old but its not a ssd. I have tried many troubleshooting steps including, turning graphics down, turning rtx off and others. The issue is that I experience lots of stuttering. I will be playing any mode and The little red fps symbol will pop up and I will go down to about 30fps out of no-where. The longer I play the more it happens. I don't think the issue is due to the hard drive because my friend has a very old PC and he runs the game fine. I have updated all of my drivers, re-installed the game and even wiped my PC. I run the game at 1080p on a 60hz monitor. What I want to know is if there is a potential setting that over-uses my GPU or CPU. Or if the reason is that I have the game installed on a hard drive.

Also, my GPU usage never gets above 40% and my CPU never above 50%. CPU never gets above 40C and my GPU never gets above 60C.

Solution
I was suspecting it would be a rather small HDD, that's why I asked.

But is it 96% full now, or was that number a mistake? 4% free space is also insufficient for proper defragmentation of the drive, so fragmentation is becoming worse over time, leading to increased load times among other things.
Then there's the page file, and other small things that add up.

But did you experince the same problems with the drive only 70% full? I can't seem to figure it out from your posts.

If you experinced exactly the same problems with 30% free space, the free space on the drive is of course irrelevant to this problem. But I thought it was worth mentioning, as that is a very full 500GB hard drive if you only left 4% free space... -under any...
Feb 28, 2020
24GB RAM stands out as odd and may be causing your RAM into single channel. What is your exact RAM setup including speed? What slots on the motherboard is the RAM installed in and what exact motherboard is it?
The Motherboard is the MSI B360 Gaming plus motherboard. And each ram is 2600. Before I got 24g of ram, i had a 16g ram setup and the same thing happened. The 3 ram sticks are placed from the right to the left leaving the far left slot open.

Feb 28, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

ram/hdd usage during the game?
malware scan the system?
My system specs are listed here
i7 9700k
GeForce RTX 2060S
B360 Gaming Plus MS-7B22 MB
2 sticks of 8gb crucial ram and one stick or v-color ram 8gb
Im not sure about the hdd
the psu is is a evga 600W bronze certified
According to NZXT cam, the storage is 96% full and Im not sure how to check how hard its working in game.
My ram was at 4.5% usage the entire game.

All of this info is coming from NZXT cam
Xbox gamebar is saying that my cpu is at 70% and gpu at 80% and ram at 50%. im not sure which one to trust

The Motherboard is the MSI B360 Gaming plus motherboard. And each ram is 2600. Before I got 24g of ram, i had a 16g ram setup and the same thing happened. The 3 ram sticks are placed from the right to the left leaving the far left slot open.
With that configuration you have 8Gb in channel A (slot 2) and 16Gb in channel B (slot 3+4) with slots 1, 2, 3 & 4 going left to right. It should operate in a hybrid mode of 16GB dual channel and 8GB single but it may have all gone single channel.

When you had 16GB was it in slots 2 & 4?
For RAM speed do you mean 2666mhz and are you sure it’s running at that speed?

My system specs are listed here
i7 9700k
GeForce RTX 2060S
B360 Gaming Plus MS-7B22 MB
2 sticks of 8gb crucial ram and one stick or v-color ram 8gb
Im not sure about the hdd
the psu is is a evga 600W bronze certified
According to NZXT cam, the storage is 96% full and Im not sure how to check how hard its working in game.
My ram was at 4.5% usage the entire game.

All of this info is coming from NZXT cam
4.5% usage? That must be an incorrect reading. I have 2x16gb and with CODMW my system sits at about 50% usage.

Feb 28, 2020
With that configuration you have 8Gb in channel A (slot 2) and 16Gb in channel B (slot 3+4) with slots 1, 2, 3 & 4 going left to right. It should operate in a hybrid mode of 16GB dual channel and 8GB single but it may have all gone single channel.

When you had 16GB was it in slots 2 & 4?
For RAM speed do you mean 2666mhz and are you sure it’s running at that speed?
Yes When I had 16gb it was in slots 2 and 4. And for the speed, when I bought the ram it was marked to have 2666mhz speed but im not sure if thats the actual speed it runs at. How would I check that?
NOTE: I just checked xbox gamebar on my pc and the ram sits at 50% to 60% usage

Feb 28, 2020
If you go into task manager, then under performance and then memory you can see the speed.
The speed under task manager says 2400... I cant get to where it continues the reading.
And also, a apologist if I dont know much about computers, this pc was a gift to me and i'm somewhat new to pc gaming, thank you for helping me.

How big is that HDD you are using? If it is not a large capacity disk, and you have used 96% percent of the free space on that disk according to the CAM readings, it can also present some problems of its own.

It seems obvious to focus on the RAM, so this is just meant as a side note, but if it is not a large capacity HDD, and it is 96% full, you may have too little free space for the system to operate smoothly.

The reason why it is important how large the drive is, is that 96% on a very large capacity drive means there would be a suitable amount of free space to operate, if it is only a smaller capacity disk, 4% free space is not a lot, and may not be sufficient

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes When I had 16gb it was in slots 2 and 4. And for the speed, when I bought the ram it was marked to have 2666mhz speed but im not sure if thats the actual speed it runs at. How would I check that?
NOTE: I just checked xbox gamebar on my pc and the ram sits at 50% to 60% usage

Going along with what Mads is saying above.

You mention being above 50% RAM usage. At that point your system starts to go to page file on RAM. It uses reserved space on storage to do so. If you are using that much RAM and going to page file on a HDD you are likely to see stutter.
Additionally, if you have a full HDD you will run into problems with overall system operation. At minimum you should have around 10% free space IMO.

For the RAM issue would look into what's running in the background. Try to close some things and free up some RAM.

Feb 28, 2020
Going along with what Mads is saying above.

You mention being above 50% RAM usage. At that point your system starts to go to page file on RAM. It uses reserved space on storage to do so. If you are using that much RAM and going to page file on a HDD you are likely to see stutter.
Additionally, if you have a full HDD you will run into problems with overall system operation. At minimum you should have around 10% free space IMO.

For the RAM issue would look into what's running in the background. Try to close some things and free up some RAM.
Okay thank you, I typically run the game with nothing else open. Also I used to run mw with about 70% full hard drive. The HDD has 500gb space.

But is it 96% full now, or was that number a mistake? 4% free space is also insufficient for proper defragmentation of the drive, so fragmentation is becoming worse over time, leading to increased load times among other things.

But did you experince the same problems with the drive only 70% full? I can't seem to figure it out from your posts.

If you experinced exactly the same problems with 30% free space, the free space on the drive is of course irrelevant to this problem. But I thought it was worth mentioning, as that is a very full 500GB hard drive if you only left 4% free space... -under any circumstances I would advise you to free up some space on that drive.

But like the others in this thread have mentioned, the RAM configuration also stands out.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat
Solution
Feb 28, 2020

If you experinced exactly the same problems with 30% free space, the free space on the drive is of course irrelevant to this problem. But I thought it was worth mentioning, as that is a very full 500GB hard drive if you only left 4% free space... -under any circumstances I would advise you to free up some space on that drive.

But like the others in this thread have mentioned, the RAM configuration also stands out.
So, the game reacted the same way when the hard drive was at 70% and yes, my ram config is a bit weird, but even when i had 16bg of ram, the game acted the same way and I had the ram placed exactly where the manual for the MB said.
And no, 4% was not a mistake