[SOLVED] Modified memory high usage in one game ?

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
Hey,
So currently I possess 24 GB of ddr3 memory.
When I run pathfinder: wrath of the righteous game the used memory ramps up to 12 GB but I also get modified memory high usage around 10 GB.
I know it is caused by this game because when I exit it, modified memory usage just disappears.
I tried increasing the virtual memory size on two different drives but I do not see an increase in memory, in the task manager. Of course, I have info that I have allocated hard drive space to memory but I can only see that in system settings and of course, via pagefile.sys.

So is there a way to reduce the usage of this modified memory, in any way ?
Thanks for the advice,
Cheers,

Solution
I tried increasing the virtual memory size on two different drives but I do not see an increase in memory, in the task manager. Of course, I have info that I have allocated hard drive space to memory but I can only see that in system settings and of course, via pagefile.sys.
virtual memory is Page file + ram. figures you see are probably actual usage, not what it could use.

increasing page file size doesn't give you more memory, it just shows how much Windows it could use, but it may not. Making it bigger doesn't force it to use it.

The "Modified" region, logically enough, holds data that has been modified. This can include data that needs to be written to disk. It can also include private mappings that have been modified...

Colif

Win 11 Master
virtual memory is Page file + ram. figures you see are probably actual usage, not what it could use.

increasing page file size doesn't give you more memory, it just shows how much Windows it could use, but it may not. Making it bigger doesn't force it to use it.

The "Modified" region, logically enough, holds data that has been modified. This can include data that needs to be written to disk. It can also include private mappings that have been modified that don't need to be written to disk.
https://superuser.com/questions/555...d-and-standby-ram-regions-in-resource-monitor

if the game loads it there, it must need it there until you stop playing game.

Last edited:
Solution

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016

https://superuser.com/questions/555...d-and-standby-ram-regions-in-resource-monitor

if the game loads it there, it must need it there until you stop playing game.
I am running out of ram while playing that game. I notice it by music not playing, everything slowing down. I thought if I add more virtual memory the game will not run out of it but apparently, this isn't the case. So is there any other option than buying new ram sticks?

Colif

Win 11 Master
seems game has memory leaks, some people restart every hour

As someone with 64gb of ram who regularly watches the game jump from 4gb to 12gbs of ram use after a particularly long session, i can say with certainty that this game is a squirter. it leaks like crazy.

This issue will bring the mightiest of systems down on a long enough timeline, Regardless of specs, or settings. You can slow it down, but not stop it. It has to be fixed by the devs(hopefully) or unity(good luck). until then the game will just use progressively more memory until, A. it crashes, B. restarts your computer, C. Bsod then restart your computer, or if you have a god tier machine, use resources until the frame rate becomes unbearable/overheating your expensive vidya card, then potentially a,b,and c.

Adding more ram might just mean it takes longer to eat all your memory, Its not really a solution. Fixing game is the solution.

Last edited: