[SOLVED] Modular home networking

Feb 21, 2021
Hello again everyone,
After recently successfully installing a switch at our homes patch panel, we have now sold our home and bought land with a modular home on the property. The issue is we work and game from home so to maximize speeds I was trying to hardwire our home network. The issue is it is a later model modular home, with no patch panel, or pre-existing ethernet ports that I have seen. The only internet company for the area is Century Link which have come in already and placed our modem/router in our main bedroom. I understand I probably need to wire each room in the crawl space but what the heck do I do after that? Do I connect everything with a switch at the modem point? Please be patient, still learning terminology etc. Thank you for any help, suggestions, or pushes in the right direction. Also, there is a massive shed I transformed into my wife's office on the property and eventually have to somehow get it hardwired there, I already wire it with cat 6, just need to connect it to the main line.

Solution
You never really want to use shielded cable. To properly work it must have special grounding. With out it is just costs you more money for no benefit and in worst case it can actually increase the interference.

If the wire can be kept dry and not touch soil you can use normal cat5e. Otherwise use outdoor rated cat5e. Water is of some concern but the big problem is many kinds of soil will damage the plastic. Outdoor cable is designed to be exposed to the elements including sunlight which destroys plastic without UV protection.
You never really want to use shielded cable. To properly work it must have special grounding. With out it is just costs you more money for no benefit and in worst case it can actually increase the interference.

If the wire can be kept dry and not touch soil you can use normal cat5e. Otherwise use outdoor rated cat5e. Water is of some concern but the big problem is many kinds of soil will damage the plastic. Outdoor cable is designed to be exposed to the elements including sunlight which destroys plastic without UV protection.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

TRENDING THREADS