Modular Power Supplies Less Efficient Say Makers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think everyone is missing some important points here. Yes, the connectors do add a small amout of additional resistance and are subject to some heating and possible oxidation as a result, but this is nothing that can't be designed around. A more important loss/waste of power are cables that are too long and/or whose conductors (wire sizes) are too small. If power supply manufacturers offered cables with different lengths and wire gauges, it would improve effeciency much more than eliminating modular connectors. Remember too that wire length must include the return trip length as well. An 18" cable has an effective wire length of 36" due to the ground return. Speaking of grounds, there should be as many ground wires as there are power wires in a cable. Failing that, the ground wires should be appropiately sized larger to handle the increased current they need to pass.

From a personal point of view, I like modular connectors simply because I can get rid of un-needed cables. If I have a PC with a graphics board which dows not need a external power cable, then I can eliminate the cable. Conversely, If I later get a board which requires two power connectors, then all I need to do is plug them in.

DaleRider

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
What I find even more ironic is that PCP&C's claim that modular cabling is the devil, yet the same OEM they source their Turbo Cool power supplies from, Win-Tact, makes just such power supplies for servers. And modular power supplies are very, very common and widespread in use in the server envrionment. If they were so damned bad, I seriously doubt Win-Tact, Delta, et al, would dare produce and sell server power supplies in modular form.

Here's an example of a Win-Tact server ps with modular connections....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/S_p_e_c_t_r_e/100_7653.jpg

DaleRider

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]DaleRider[/nom]What I find even more ironic is that PCP&C's claim that modular cabling is the devil, yet the same OEM they source their Turbo Cool power supplies from, Win-Tact, makes just such power supplies for servers. And modular power supplies are very, very common and widespread in use in the server envrionment. If they were so damned bad, I seriously doubt Win-Tact, Delta, et al, would dare produce and sell server power supplies in modular form.Here's an example of a Win-Tact server ps with modular connections....[/citation]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/S_p_e_c_t_r_e/100_7653.jpg

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I've never liked modular, as I always end up using all the plugs/connectors anyway. I"d rather have the peace of mind of a soldered connection.

ekilgus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
PSU's employing modular connectors are just fine and not having all those unused wires bunched up in the case facilitates cooling. If any are worried about losing a few watts due to the modular configuration, get a little larger PSU. Eventually PSU makers will devise an improved modular connector thus eliminating this issue.

model

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
true and true. electricity, less connection definitely
more efficient. when you build a house, they'll tell
you that too.

somehow, if you attach all modular cables, they're messy
more than non-modular.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
On the other hand, the hard wired cables make more of a mess which disturbs the airflow and certainly causes inefficiencies that way; at least partially offsetting the gains on the hard wired connections.

G

Freggo, this article is outdated and has no importance anymore, any sane mind would have come to realize that modular power supplies do not put more resistance than any connector already on the computer, say for example, a 3 or 4pin extension. Yet, everything works fine when using extension or connected directly (yes direct connectors also have resistance). This is just another marketing gimmick that pc power and cooling used to sell their PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.