Monitor 60hz= 60 fps max?

Apr 19, 2018
So I'm planing on buying a 60hz refresh rate monitor and heard that that means I can only play games with 60 fps max stable. Is this true, if so, there is no point in buying gpus and cpu that can reach over 60 fps right, just use my money on parts that will be just at 60fps??

Solution
61fps + =60fps visible on screen. Could have a gpu put out 1000fps, you get 60.

The difference in gpus isn't so much about fps maximums, those change according to cpu, game engine etc, but about ability at desired fps. If you take 60fps as a wanted minimum frame rate in almost every game at 1080p at ultra settings, you'll need a gtx1070. Capable of higher than 60fps? Sure is, doesn't matter. It's the minimums that do. For seamless game play, keeping all frames above 60, so you see a solid 60 no matter what, is the desire. That takes a stronger card to cover more situations. A gtx1060/6 is good too, but doesn't cover at ultra settings as many games, some would need dropping to high. A 1050ti has no issues with 1080p either, but good...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Loaded question.

60Hz monitor means the screen will refresh frames at 60x a second. If you put too many fps from the gpu, like over 300, many times the screen will literally take to long to refresh 1 frame and you'll get 2x frames loaded at the same time, this is called tearing and is most evident in motion, faster the motion more difference in object location, larger the tear. Vsync, and it's various types, locks the gpu to same frame output basically, so allows only 1 frame at a time. G-Sync does it a little different, it locks to equal frames, so if you have 50, the monitor refresh is 50, if it's 70, then the monitor refresh is 60 same as vsync.

Most of this is all done according to minimum frames, not maximum frames, in an effort to reduce stuttering and tearing since the inherent nature of games allows for large swings both ways. A slow motion explosion has far less fps swing than a fast motion explosion.

Apr 19, 2018

so how much fps do you think I can go on a 60hz, stably with no screen tears

Apr 19, 2018

So if I get more then 60 fps, it will only display 60 fps

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
61fps + =60fps visible on screen. Could have a gpu put out 1000fps, you get 60.

The difference in gpus isn't so much about fps maximums, those change according to cpu, game engine etc, but about ability at desired fps. If you take 60fps as a wanted minimum frame rate in almost every game at 1080p at ultra settings, you'll need a gtx1070. Capable of higher than 60fps? Sure is, doesn't matter. It's the minimums that do. For seamless game play, keeping all frames above 60, so you see a solid 60 no matter what, is the desire. That takes a stronger card to cover more situations. A gtx1060/6 is good too, but doesn't cover at ultra settings as many games, some would need dropping to high. A 1050ti has no issues with 1080p either, but good luck with some games, details will be low. To keep @60fps. You can sacrifice fps, to raise quality, or sacrifice quality to raise fps. So at 1080p on a 1050ti, you might get 30fps at ultra or 60fps at medium. Your choice.

While fps and refresh are both capped at 60Hz, that doesn't necessarily mean they are the same thing. One is a visual output to you, the other is a data input to the monitor.

1080p @ 60Hz is the single most common resolution monitor on the planet. Honestly, it not a problem for most gpus to keep up, depending on just how bad you cripple it with resolution or swamp it with details.

Solution