zerrith

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date Within the next couple weeks

Budget Range up to $450 but I might go higher if it is worth it

Usage Gaming, movies, MS Office apps

Preferred website Amazon preferred, newegg

Country of origin US of A

Brand preferences I really like my LG monitor and my Samsung TV. I have read that ASUS monitors are way too bright

Size 22"-24"

Resolution 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Devices This will be for my desktop that has a gtx 480 fermi card. The outputs are DVI and mini HDMI. I will be adding a 2nd card in the near future once I have a better monitor (currently have a LG Flatron W2252TQ)

Panel Type IPS

LED backlight Yes

Speakers Indifferent

Wall-mount Would be nice but not required

Stand Functions Need to be able to tilt up since my desk is on the low side

Additional Comments I want something that displays good colors and no ghosting. My benchmark game right now is FF14 (yes the game sucks but it is the highest end graphics-wise that I own) I will want to play Mass Effect 3 on this whenever it comes out. I was considering an LG W2286L, but it isn't true HD but it has some really good reviews. I am hesitant though since LG stopped producing them.

Generally speaking, if you want an IPS monitor with very low response times, then you need to spend money on a more expensive H-IPS monitor rather than spending money on an e-IPS monitor.

H-IPS monitors have response times as low as 5ms, but e-IPS monitors are more or less limited to 8ms. Technically speaking though there should not be much of a difference, but the rule of thumb is the higher the response time the more likely you will see ghosting.

Additionally, e-IPS panels are 6-bit color panels instead of 8-bit color panels; similar to the less expensive TN panels. What this means is that a 6-bit panel can only create 256k real colors. An 8-bit panel can truly create 16.7m colors. A 6-bit panel needs to use temporal dithering to blend up to around 16m colors.

6-bit panels can exhibit color banding issues and sometimes image artifacts if you know what to look for. But most gamers don't really complain these things.

Just because a monitor is no longer in production, it doesn't mean it was a bad monitors. Like car companies, new LCD monitor models are released time to time to attract new buyers.

Generally speaking, I avoid LED backlight. Some people say it offers better backlight uniformity than traditional CCFL (florescent) backlight. That is generally false especially since all "LED monitors" are edge lit rather than a full array like CCFL. LED backlight can sometimes have a bluish hue since blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorous coating is used to imitate white.

you don't have to have an ultra low response time just to avoid ghosting.

my old vp201b (s-ips, 16ms) had both perfect color AND zero ghosting. its more about what the maximum response time is and not just the number they decide to stick on their product. just because a monitor says its 5ms doesnt meant it always responds at 5ms.

i agree with what was said about 6bit vs 8bit. if you're already going for ips over va & tn then might as well make it worth it.

i agree with what was said about ccfl vs led. unless you buy an expensive monitor you're going to get a blue-ish hue most likely. there isnt a real advantage (yet, since all monitors are still edge lit).