Question Monitor disconnects and reconnects while gaming ?

Apr 4, 2024
Hey all, I recently got a new Samsung Odyssey G70A monitor as an upgrade. However when playing certain games the monitor disconnects, goes black, then reconnects after a second or so. This seems to happen with every single game except for Valorant, and it happens on both windowed and fullscreen, HDR on or off . Nothing is crashing or logging an error in Event Viewer when this happens.

I've tried the reinstalling drivers and everything, couldn't find a similar question online so here I am. Any help would be appreciated.

PC specs:
CPU: i7-13700k
GPU: RTX 3080 Ti
RAM: 64GB DDR5

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If it's not GPU driver related and no errors are logged (Event Viewer and such) and also if you changed cables and ports on both graphics card and monitor it might be the monitor itself. Maybe the input board or the main processing board of the monitor is failing.

Do you have another display (a TV maybe?) to check if this happens with same port and cable?

Apr 4, 2024
Well apparently turning the color settings color depth to 8bpc instead of the default 10bpc fixed it, I have no idea why because HDMI 2.1 should be able to handle 10bpc @ 4k 120hz.. maybe it's just some games not being compatible with it?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes HDMI 2.1 should handle 4K 120Hz and as for 10bpc yes it should be bale to handle 10bpc and 4:4:4.

Your card is HDMI -2.1-capable and so is your monitor I think. If they're both capable of driving the moitor at those settings maybe the cable can't handle 4k at 120Hz and 10bpc.