[SOLVED] Monitor flickering when loading up a game

Omzy

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
I have been having this issue for a while now and I'm getting kind of tired manually fixing it my self, the issue is I have 2 monitors, the first one being a 72hz and the second being a 144hz. The issue is that whenever I start up windows and launch up a game for example OverWatch I see a massive amount of flicker which is due to the fact that the monitor that is my main (monitor 2) is not on 144hz but windows settings on the display page shows that my monitor is already on 144hz which is strange because the game I'm playing is flickering. The fix is to change the refresh rate to a lower amount and then back to the original being 144hz. I have been doing this for a while now and I thought Microsoft would patch it as it might be an OS issue but it seems like it's not. I'm really confused about why this is happening and I was wondering maybe someone will be able to help me resolve this issue or suggest a reason for the problem. Any amount of help, advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Specs

144Hz Monitor - AOC (Main-Monitor)
72Hz Monitor - Samsung (Second-Monitor)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3600 6 Cores 12 Threads - 3.60GHz
16GB Ram
Graphics Card: Nvidia Gtx 1660 Super
Storage : 500gb SSD + 1 Alternative HDD 2TB

Lutfij

Titan
What version of Windows 10 are you on? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? When reinstalling said drivers, you should source the latest from Nvidia's support site and install drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Omzy

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
What version of Windows 10 are you on? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? When reinstalling said drivers, you should source the latest from Nvidia's support site and install drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
Thank you for your response. To answer your questions I have tried to uninstall (using Nvidia Geforce Experience and device manager) and reinstall my GPU drivers just not with DDU. I always keep my GPU drivers up to date using the Nvidia GeForce experience application.

The make of my motherboard is MSI Motherboard AMD AM4 B450 GAMING PLUS MAX and the bios version is American Megatrends Inc. H.72, 09/06/2020.
The make of my PSU is EVGA which is a 500 W1, 80+ PSU, the age for this power supply is around 8 months old.

Omzy

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
Hi, my suggestion is to buy a DisplayPort 1.4 certified cable.
Why do you suggest this? Has it worked for you?

I'm saying this because I already have a display port and I do not want to waste money buying another one.
This will still have me confused on why it works when I change my refresh rate to a lower amount and back to the original amount which is 144hz.
This issue is not always consistent as well. Sometimes I start my computer up and the screen doesn't flicker and sometimes it does.

nneo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Why do you suggest this? Has it worked for you?

I'm saying this because I already have a display port and I do not want to waste money buying another one.
This will still have me confused on why it works when I change my refresh rate to a lower amount and back to the original amount which is 144hz.
This issue is not always consistent as well. Sometimes I start my computer up and the screen doesn't flicker and sometimes it does.

yes, have an Acer 240hz and later a Dell 60hz, both have same issue flickering when normal use (Acer) and when open games (Dell) with bundled cables, solved after buying the DP 1.4 cables.

Omzy

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
yes, have an Acer 240hz and later a Dell 60hz, both have same issue flickering when normal use (Acer) and when open games (Dell) with bundled cables, solved after buying the DP 1.4 cables.
I have just received my display port (1.4) I'm currently testing it out and I will let you know how it goes

Omzy

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
This fixed my issue, thank you very much! it seemed that the display cable I was using was a display port 1.0 from amazon basic which to my knowledge was kind of trash. Anyways thank you again!

Reactions: nneo