Question Monitor goes into sleep mode, PC fans ramp up to 100%, audio normal for a few seconds, PC bricked ?

GroundZeros

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Hi, 3 years ago i made the same post to the GPU subforum and didnt get a response, im going to try my luck again and potentially find a solution.

I mostly boiled it down to either a GPU or a motherboard issue altough im still not sure
Ive had this issue for around 3 years and mostly coped with it by suverely reducing game graphics and general PC load, it still happens but much less so.

MBD: ASRock Z68 Pro3
GPU: RX 580 8GB
CPU: i5-3470 4C 3.3GHZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3

The trigger seems to be high load, specifically lots of particle effects, even tough framerates and temperatures are stable.

So basically, when it happens the screen goes instantly black, followed by the message that the monitor goes into "power saving mode", fans kick up to the max and audio of the game still works for a few seconds before cutting out as well with the PC being affectively bricked as im forced to do a hard reset, then it boots up normally
also worth noting, during the boot theres also the return of the high speed fans for a few seconds before going back to normal

so far, ive had this happen in basically every game ive played
even tough i said temperatures are normal, it occours more often in the summer then the winter

ive mostly taken preventive measures when i relise that theres higher loads, such as limiting framerates and reducing visuals, but still not enough

there is event noted in event viewer aside the critical kernel power upon a hard reset

in addition to this, the bios often goes to the legacy boot screen (the black and white boot thingy) as opposed by the asrock logo and the system runs check disc everytime for the last few months

any ideas? fixes? tips?

GroundZeros

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
brand and model of the psu?
what is the exact cpu/gpu temp?

thermaltake toughpower grand 750W​

CPU hovers around 60-68c​

GPU 83-85c (~78c after tuned edit*)​

at full load with Heavyload​

its also the GPU fans that go 100% when it happens​

slight little edit, ive decided to bring down the clocks and undervolt the card, i will post back if its fixed​

Last edited: