[SOLVED] Monitor has no signal when using a displayport cable but does when using a hdmi one

T44v1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2019
Hi

I just purchased a new monitor (AOC Agon AG271QG) And after connecting it to my PC with a DisplayPort cable, the monitor only displays a 'No signal*.
I tried connecting it to my PC with the HDMI cable I already own which ended up showing a regular signal.
My specs are;
CPU
Intel Core i5 10400 @ 2.90GHz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1329MHz (19-19-19-43)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B460M D3H (U3E1)
Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
Storage
111GB KINGSTON SHFS37A120G (SATA-3 (SSD))
465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
When i tried connecting the new monitor to my laptop with the DisplayPort cable it showed a working signal as well, so I assume the cable is not the problem here.

Solution
Okay, I'm not sure what exactly did it, but i removed the hdmi cable, switch the displayport cable ends around and used a different displayport on the GTX, it seems to be working now. Thanks for the help anyway.

T44v1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2019
I am aware of that. I do have to switch between HDMI and DisplayPort as the source using the button on the bottom of my screen. The HDMI one shows fine but the Displayport one still has the same problem.

I do not believe the monitor is defective as it does show a signal from my laptop when i connected those two using the DisplayPort cable.
OOPS! I did not realize that the laptop adapter had a dp connection.
My conclusion would then be that the 1070 is the issue.
Try a different dp output.
Also, there is a note on the nvidia GTX1070 specs:

DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready

Does the monitor require more than dp1.2?

https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/monitor/ag271qg/specification
here under "connectivity information" it says:
DisplayPort 1.2 x 1
So theoretically it should be fine. I assume the cable being 1.8 in "what's in the box" section shouldn't be a problem either because it should be backwards compatible with an older port.
DP cables have a range of quality and the speed and resolution they support.
Perhaps a very high quality cable would be a good investment, regardless.

T44v1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2019
Okay, I'm not sure what exactly did it, but i removed the hdmi cable, switch the displayport cable ends around and used a different displayport on the GTX, it seems to be working now. Thanks for the help anyway.

Solution