[SOLVED] Monitor Input not Supported

Allen_Walker

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I have a DELL laptop and wanted to use an old monitor as a 2nd display
since it's old it only has a VGA port so I have a VGA to HDMI adapter between them
( all cables are fine and they all work perfectly ) all drivers installed and UpToDate

the problem is the 2nd monitor says input not supported when I am duplicating or extending my screen, if I only use the 2nd monitor it works fine
+ when I tried it with my 2nd operating system (Linux) it worked perfectly I could duplicate/extend
so the problem only occurs while I am in Windows and in duplicated/extended option

Solution
What resolutions are you running (or attempting to run)? if your primary monitor is a higher resolution (or refresh rate) than the second supports, it may be defaulting & trying to push higher (hence "not supported"). Won' be any conflict when using it as the only monitor, and Linux will behave differently (likely defaulting to the lowest common denominator).

If there's a resolution/refresh rate difference, try manually lowering the Primary monitor to the max supported by the second, before extending/duplicating.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What resolutions are you running (or attempting to run)? if your primary monitor is a higher resolution (or refresh rate) than the second supports, it may be defaulting & trying to push higher (hence "not supported"). Won' be any conflict when using it as the only monitor, and Linux will behave differently (likely defaulting to the lowest common denominator).

If there's a resolution/refresh rate difference, try manually lowering the Primary monitor to the max supported by the second, before extending/duplicating.

Solution

Allen_Walker

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020

worked after i changed the resolution on the 2nd monitor
Thank you so much