Monitor keeps turning itself on

hogwartsrikiblack

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
My monitor keeps turning itself back on.
It is an LG ultrawide monitor. It was working perfectly until now (half a year-ish) but starting today it keeps turning itself back on. Even if the PC is turned off, even if disconnected from the PC. It says "no signal", goes to sleep but then immediately turns itself back on half a minute later. I hold down the power button to turn it off and (again) it turns itself back on half a minute later. Only way to turn it off for good is cutting it from power (plugging it off or removing the power cable from the monitor).
I don't know what could possibly be the issue. I've never seen this before. I also have a video illustrating the problem.

Solution
I have a couple of flaky monitors too. Since I have a dual monitor setup I finally changed to two different connections instead of using dual dvi connections. I think one is now dvi and one is hdmi and that resolved the issue for me.
My guess is that the input of the monitor may be too sensitive to voltage....OR your PC is outputting a voltage to the monitor for some reason.

Basically....monitors wake up when they see voltage at the input. So either your monitor is seeing a voltage at the input and coming on....or there is something wrong with the monitor.

What happens if you hook up another monitor to the PC? This should tell you if it's the monitor or not.

hogwartsrikiblack

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Hi jay,

I've mentioned in my initial text that the monitor keeps turning on even if disconnected from the PC, so it can't be a problem with the PC.

You might be on point with voltage problems though. I've been suspecting it might be a problem with the electricity since there have been reworks done by the electricity providers in my area.

Any suggestion what I might try to do in this case? Thanks.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I have a couple of flaky monitors too. Since I have a dual monitor setup I finally changed to two different connections instead of using dual dvi connections. I think one is now dvi and one is hdmi and that resolved the issue for me.

Solution