[SOLVED] Monitor loosing power after a few seconds of turning on the pc.

Oct 26, 2021
When I am starting the PC, after showing the mobo name the monitor is loosing signal from the graphics card. Sometimes it is happening even before showing the mobo name. I take around 15 minutes break, tried to turn on again, same. Kept doing it, eventually it might or might not turn on properly once and then stays on and no issue. But that case is rare. Once in two or three days.
There is no issue while running it on integrated graphics. The issue appears only when the cord is connected to the GPU.
I changed everything except the GPU and PSU just 2 days ago. After building all was working fine at the shop and also in my home for a day. And then I shut down the PC, went to sleep, started to face the same issue from the next morning.

My full specs:
Asus Tuf B560M Gaming Plus
i5 11400
Deepcool gammax gt argb cooler
Corsair rgb pro 8X2 3200mhz ram
Gigabyte 1650S OC 4GB
Corsair 450W PSU

Solution
Yeah. Also I think the cable is fine as it is working fine when I am connecting the cable with my laptop or with the mobo hdmi port

Try both display port and HDMI with new cables. A good sign of a good cable is it's beefy thick. Thick wires cost money. The objective it not to have a lower gauge (thicker wire) itself, but many many strands of higher gauge (thinner wire) to conduct the signal. Then wire conducts higher frequencies due to something called "Skin effect" of electrons traveling through a conductor.

Well yes and no. Lets say you have a borderline cable. If the signal generator is "questionable" then you have borderline on top of borderline.

That "hole" you see below between the two waveforms is called "The...
Yeah. Also I think the cable is fine as it is working fine when I am connecting the cable with my laptop or with the mobo hdmi port

Try both display port and HDMI with new cables. A good sign of a good cable is it's beefy thick. Thick wires cost money. The objective it not to have a lower gauge (thicker wire) itself, but many many strands of higher gauge (thinner wire) to conduct the signal. Then wire conducts higher frequencies due to something called "Skin effect" of electrons traveling through a conductor.

Well yes and no. Lets say you have a borderline cable. If the signal generator is "questionable" then you have borderline on top of borderline.

That "hole" you see below between the two waveforms is called "The Eye" If a signal generator on the card is wonky, that eye will get smaller and smaller, eventually until you can't resolve the data. The higher the bandwidth, the more sensitive that eye is as it becomes smaller as the data rate increases. So on bootup you are running low resolution. Then as it switches over to a higher frequency, the cable just fails.

I'm not saying this IS the problem. It's just a possibility. The other issue could be hand shake issues which is the negotiation between the monitor and display card. (Which ironically can also be caused by a bad cable, or a bad panel driver)

wdm_4ch_5.png (313×350) (lumerical.com)

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 26, 2021
How old is the power supply? Which model of Corsair. You should be pulling somewhere around 180-240 Watts from the wall

Do you hear fan ramp up on the GPU after display loss? How old is the card?
Corsair cv450 80 Plus Bronze. The fan ramp up happened once. The card and the psu both bought on February, 2021

Oct 26, 2021

That "hole" you see below between the two waveforms is called "The Eye" If a signal generator on the card is wonky, that eye will get smaller and smaller, eventually until you can't resolve the data. The higher the bandwidth, the more sensitive that eye is as it becomes smaller as the data rate increases. So on bootup you are running low resolution. Then as it switches over to a higher frequency, the cable just fails.

I'm not saying this IS the problem. It's just a possibility. The other issue could be hand shake issues which is the negotiation between the monitor and display card. (Which ironically can also be caused by a bad cable, or a bad panel driver)

Bought a new cable, then it started alright. Don't know if it is working because of cable or because of the card was removed for a while. Didn't turn off yet. Will let you know what happens after I turn it off again. But thanks for the suggestion of changing the cable.

Oct 26, 2021

Nope. Worked for two days without any issue with the new cable. Then its back to previous state. Now one cable shows "no signal", other one shows "no hdmi cable"