Monitor on iGPU

Fantucis

Commendable
May 18, 2016
So i got a completely new pc build and a new monitor too. Though, the monitor has only a VGA port available, but the GTX 1050 inside the pc doesn't have a VGA port. Okay, so instead i connect the monitor to the iGPU / motherboard. Everything is okay until i try some games. I opened up CSGO and, of course, it ran on the iGPU, not on the GTX 1050. I tried to open the Nvidia control panel, to switch in the settings, so the games would run on the GTX 1050, just like Nvidia optimus on laptops, but a error popped up stating - NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU. So i understand, that i need to buy an adapter for the VGA cable, so i could connect it with the GPU, but is there another way without buying an adapter?

G

It wont work as you have to connect through the hdmi. You wont have any nvidia drivers installed as well. Either buy a different monitor or get an adapter

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'd need an active adapter (to go from Digital to Analog) which are $10-$20 generally - ensure you get 'active'. If an ad doesn't state that, avoid it.

Or, you could return the monitor for something else. VGA is dated, and best avoided IMO.

Fantucis

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Well, just found out that the monitor and the gpu also has a DVI-D port. Is that decent for 1080p?
And about the VGA being dated, yes, it is old, but a lot and i mean a lot of budget monitors still have VGA / D-SUB. Also, i compared the VGA and HDMI, i didn't see any difference at all.. No quality changes, no nothing.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah, DVI is basically HDMI but without the audio.