Monitor Refresh rate

G

For some odd reason my monitor (attached to a ASUS geforce 3 with the nvidia 12.90 ref. drivers) switches to some painfully low refresh rate (60htz?) whenever I enter a game. Does any one know how to fix this?

Thanks.

I no longer wish to belong to the kind of club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho Marx

G

what monitor? I think you should go to Desktop properties, then advanced and then in adapter thingy change whatever it says to OPTIMAL.

G

Its a NEC FE750+.

I dont see an option for optimal...
Infact all there is is properties which gets info on the drivers for my Video card, and "list all modes" which is set to 1024/768-32bit-100htz.

Any other clues?
Thanks.

I no longer wish to belong to the kind of club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho Marx

G

hmm... do you have a Gateway PC? or you built your own? I don't know anything about not-self-built computers. The lock everything and do some bad things like with DELL PC you can't o'clock AT ALL. Do you know where you can change refresh rate? THERE MUST be OPTIMAL word in ADAPTER chart, what OS do you run? Win2k?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You're running win2k?

I have (technically, had) the same problem. I messed around with setting the individual refresh rates in the games to 100hz, but a few of them must just not care about the .ini file setting or something (icewind dale). So, I just locked the refresh rate to 100hz in the display panel, double clicked on the 'directx setup' shortcut, and overrode the direct draw setting to 100hz too. So it never changes from 100hz while I'm running w2k.

Basically, if I try to run a game at anything higher than 1024x768, I have to change about 3 settings (to lower rates), so I run everything at 1024x768. You might give that a shot......

G

Ya Win2k. COnfusing as hell, it seems to change the interface according to your system so that no two computers are alike.
Coming from the completley standardized MacOS this is rather confusing for me.
Any how there is nothing as far as I can see (and i have searched through everything, clicked on every button, etc.) that says optimized. Hell I think I'm gonna install win98 today...