Question Monitor screen flickering at high refresh rates ?

May 10, 2022

My monitor (Pixio PX7) keeps flickering likes this at 165 Hz. At 120 Hz - 144 Hz, less flickering. At 75 Hz, no flickering.

I tried already:

• a different PSU
  • a different VGA
  • a different monitor(Acer Nitro VG271)
  • a different motherboard
  • multiple DP cables
  • different OS
  • different nvidia drivers
I have a secondary monitor(LG) as well( capable of maximum 60 Hz). Turning on/off G-Sync doesn't help either. The issue sometimes disappear randomly for 1-2 days, and then comes back again.

My PC:
Intel i-5 8600K
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080

Any possible fixes?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

This:

"The issue sometimes disappear randomly for 1-2 days, and then comes back again. "

May be something loose inside the computer. Not totally disconnected but loose enough to cause intermittent problems.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, any thing blackened, browned, or swollen. loose or missing screws.

May 10, 2022
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

This:

"The issue sometimes disappear randomly for 1-2 days, and then comes back again. "

May be something loose inside the computer. Not totally disconnected but loose enough to cause intermittent problems.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, any thing blackened, browned, or swollen. loose or missing screws.
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU

Since the problem appeared, i already changed the PSU. I bought this one a few months ago. I actually changed the case last week, i couldn't find any issue.

Ralston18

Titan
Difficult to diagnose intermittent problems.

Especially with all that has been replaced,swapped, and otherwise tried.

Interesting that the flickering appears to decline with frequency. However, there still could be a flicker but not really noticeable.

How are all of your devices connected?

Are you using, for example, one wall outlet and then surge protectors, power strips, extension cords, etc.?

Starting to wonder if there is some power or interference problem in your home circuits.

Try to keep track of when the problem starts and stops. Look for some pattern. What else is going on when the flickering begins?

Weather, other appliances being used, someone else at home using their device(s). Outside interference. Anything that you can associate with the flickering or lack of flickering.

Reactions: nahwes
May 10, 2022
I use this: "Extension Lead Surge Protection 8 Way, MBLAI Extension Leads with 4 USB Slots 2M Cable Power Strip 3000W/13A Wall Mount with Surge Protector Switches "

I tried to change the wall outlet once, didn't help either. I tried removing all the other devices in my room as well. Unfortunately, i could not find any pattern, seems to be completely random.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to provide a link to that surge protector?

Using your surge protector description, a ubuy website came up based on a google search. Website wanted additional information on continents and countries to proceed.

Take a careful look at how your devices are connected. Watch for loops: For example - surge protector to PC power , audio cable from PC to speakers, speakers plugged into surge protector.

Do you have lots of power outages and/or surges? Could be that the surge protector is no longer effective or failing in some manner.

If possible, test for a few days without the Surge Protector. Do additional testing by removing individual devices, one at a time.

Determine if the flickering stops when one particular device is not present.